Advertisement

Torque - what exactly do I 'need' to get started.

Started by October 30, 2004 04:17 PM
3 comments, last by Jedive 19 years, 10 months ago
Hello. I make games on my home computer in my spare time. I thought that the torque engine would be really great, but $100 is a little bit steep (I'm 15 years old, currently without a job.) I've heatrd there is a book that contains a precompled version torqqe, and since it is only around $30, that may be a good option. I just wanted to know - is it worth paying the extra $70 to get the license right away, or should I buy the book instead? What kind of restrictions are there using the precompiled version, etc. Thanks for your help, in advance. Adam
Do you already know how to program? If not, save your self the money and learn c++ first.

If you do know C++, play around with some small API's like SDL first, or atleast read the documentation.

engines are good for teams, but not so good for single person projects.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
Whether it is worth purchasing a TGE license now or later depends on your particular circumstances.

Ask yourself the following questions, and count the number of times you answer "yes":-

1. Do you already have experience with designing games?

2. Do you already have experience with creating 3D models?

3. Do you already have experience with creating textures?

4. Do you already have experience with scripting?

5. Do you already have experience with C/C++?

6. Will you be creating a complex game or modifying the engine code right away?

7. Are you prepared to search online for information?

If your total is 4 or less you would likely benefit more from purchasing the 3D Game Programming All in One book first and relying on the Torque public forums and resources for further info.

If your score is 5 or more you will likely find it worthwhile to purchase the license first.

The precompiled version of TGE that comes with the book is virtually identical to the one you can compile yourself. However, without a license you cannot redistribute your games, modify the source or access the private Torque forums and resources.

The book also includes a number of tools on the CDROM to help you get started, but MilkShape, PaintShop Pro and UltraEdit-32 are shareware, so after 30 days or so you will need to purchase full versions if you don't already own them (or similar tools).

There are free tools you could use instead though.

Btw, I disagee with the previous poster's comment that ready-made engines aren't so good for single person projects, as they're even less likely to have the time and/or resources to create their own.
Download the demo - you can write scripts and make maps with that.

Alternatively, theres a stripped down version at www.codesampler.com -> goto the torque tutorials section...
I recommend buying the book first. Learn how to make game swith Torque, play with the version that comes with the bok, and once you are ready to make a game that you want to distribute, purchase the Torque license.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement