🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Heart in a "-Blender-" beautiful oblivio-o-o-n....

Started by
8 comments, last by cliffhawkens 23 years, 8 months ago
Hello...I recently downloaded the program "Blender" because I''ve heard that it''s pretty good, but I can''t understand the interface at all! Well, ok, I can get the VERY basics, but not much more, and I really need some help with it...could someone post some addresses of good tutorials, or e-mail me with some tips? Thanx... I saw some of the example screenshots, so I know it''s worth learning, especially since it''s free =o) ****************************** It's not how hard you try, it's...um, okay, it is.... =o)
[email=erydo@gdnmail.net" style="color: #ff0000; text-decoration:none; cursor:help;](o= erydo =o)[/email]
Advertisement
I tried blender for a while. the interface didn''t click with me either. finally i gave it up (i''m not saying you should do the same). I got this 3d modeler called Strata3d - its free, and the interface is really easy. You can download it at:

http://www.strata3d.com

not exactly an answer to your question, but hope it helps.

#define ignite_software 1
[source]#define ignite_software 1[/source]
Yeah, I have Strata 3D to, and I use it, but I keep feeling that it's too limited on features...the GUI is nice, but the program is just so limiting! I don't know if Blender's that way too, but I think it's worth a shot. Plus Strata3D crashes my computer a lot =o(
I have the demo of Strata StudioPro, but by jeeze it's expensive...oh well, thanx for the suggestion, tho!

Edited by - cliffhawkens on October 12, 2000 4:03:41 PM
[email=erydo@gdnmail.net" style="color: #ff0000; text-decoration:none; cursor:help;](o= erydo =o)[/email]
Official and User tutorials

joeG

joeG
Here''s my perspective - I''ve looked at the blender - and I couldn''t get the interface even after I read the manual. hated it deleted it. I figured I don''t have to use it just because it''s free. And strata did even worse for me. It''s not a 3d animater it''s more of a logo maker for the web - absolutely limeted - and useless for what I need to do.
My suggestion is either go on reading the tutorials until you catch on (the better of the choices) or just find another free program like milkshape - although very hard to use - it is rewarding, and anotjer thing you can do is actualy pay for a program(If you don''t inted to steal it)
~Weird_OWE~
Yesterday (Thursday) I stayed home from school sick and researched some blender tutorials. I've got most, er, some of the very basics, so I'm not going to give up. I still'd like any tips that anyone can offer, tho. I completely agree about Strata3D's limits. Considering that Blender is a 1-2 MB download, and Strata 3D is 20MB, I'd expect more from S3D, since they're both free!
Check out Strata 3D's website (I couldn't find a clearcut gallery) as opposed to Blender's Gallery and see the difference!

Blender is much better, leaving out the interface of course, then S3D, which is why I want to learn it!

*******************=o)**************************

Edited by - cliffhawkens on October 13, 2000 5:20:47 PM
The deal w/ Blender is that the interface is not meant to be easy but is meant to be fast and effecient. Once you get used to it, it''s very quick and powerful to use. It''s just really tough at first.

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya" -- Nazrix
""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Try Milkshape, it''s freeware and supports all kinds of file formats and is pretty much designed for making game content as opposed to movie quality stuff.

Try Milkshape, it''s freeware and supports all kinds of file formats and is pretty much designed for making game content as opposed to movie quality stuff.

The Blender interface is very easy once you get used to it. It took me awhile to use the interface too. I would say stick with it becuse it a great 3d modeler. www.blender.nl for some tutorial on the interface. http://members.xoom.com/blender/ - has a tutorial search engine.

"It it tomorrow, or just the end of time?"
-Jimi Hendrix ''Purple Haze''

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement