🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Transparencies in games

Started by
3 comments, last by Nomadic Soul 23 years, 8 months ago
Alright, I''m completely new at this. I was wondering how you guys get those images in your game without having to deal with the image background. What file format is the image in? I can make an image that has a transparent background in Adobe Photoshop but I''m guessing you don''t use adobe format right? So how do you do it?
Dude1:Look at this!Dude2:Ugh! That's disgusting.Dude1:Its art!Dude2: Its your puke.Dude1:Its abstract art,dammit!
Advertisement
I use .bmp format the background to your image is any color you want just when you make your game in the code make it so it doesnt draw those colors to the screen.
Thanks alot!
Dude1:Look at this!Dude2:Ugh! That's disgusting.Dude1:Its art!Dude2: Its your puke.Dude1:Its abstract art,dammit!
We use 2 bmps, one for the "texture" and the other one for the alpha-map. I guess it´s possible to use a format that utilizes alpha maps but i find it more convenient this way (working on them seperately). BTW: in photoshop it´s easiest to use a mask for the layer you´re working on and then extract the alpha map from that.
It just deals with setting a particular rgb setting to transparent. say you dont want the color black. you just set that to zero and it doesnt appear. translucency is somthing else though

Allow the flaming to begin
Conshape Electronic Arts

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement