🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A quick and simple question

Started by
3 comments, last by serratemplar 23 years, 8 months ago
I have limited ability to draw with a pencil and paper, but other than button-like icons and rendered scenery, I don''t know much about drawing little characters for onscreen. There must be webpages out there that talk about basics, technique, and such when it comes to drawing little mario/terra/simon graphics to run around on screen in a game. Where can I find such a thing? ~Steve
Advertisement
Don''t you have a graphic arts program at your college or classes in computer graphics you can take?
"There is no speed limit in the pursuit of excellence"
I would like some information on this too. I remember way back when I used to play with Mario Paint on the Super Nintendo. They had all sorts of stamps of Mario and other sprites. When you got really close to them, you would see that they were made pixel by pixel, with subtle variation in color to make them look cool.

I''m not really great at it, but that''s the way I do it for small sprites and other high-detail background objects.
I learned by playing around with save sreens from ZSnes. I liked the style of art in the later snes games so learned to draw sprites useing that techniqe. Personally i think one learns best by playing around with it so, find somthing you like and copy copy copy untill you can do it with your own art. Of coarse you can take a class but doing it my way will make you a little more prepared to deal with the terminology and techniqes used in a typical art class. I use paint alot to draw little sprites that dont do anything.
Incidently, i remember that mario paint. that was so cool for about a week. I used to use the midi program lots but I thought it would have been neat to import those paint files to games on the snes.

Allow the flaming to begin
Conshape Electronic Arts
I agree. 90% of learning to draw anything is copy, copy, copy. Originality is just hiding your sources.

Bleh!
Bleh!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement