Advertisement

SDL with DJGPP?

Started by December 26, 2004 10:14 AM
4 comments, last by Specchum 19 years, 8 months ago
I normally use Visual C++ for programming, but I decided to experiment and download DJGPP, just to play with. It has the GCC compiler, which I know can compile SDL code, but can it's DJGPP version? In other words, can I compile SDL code with DJGPP in DOS?
I'm pretty sure that it would compile under a dos envoirnment. Even MS VC++ and DEV-CPP just make DOS calls to the the compilier. However there isnt a DOS port of SDL to run it on. So not sure the point.
Advertisement
I don't know about DJGPP, but I would recommend you ditch that (as it's unsupported) and get MinGW instead. As far as I know DJGPP is out of date now and MinGW is the current version of GCC that most people use on Windows. There's some brief documentation for it on the SDL site here.

Or maybe get Dev-CPP instead, which is an IDE that comes with MinGW, and allows you to add 'devpaks', which are essentially libraries that you install as if they were compiler plugins, it seems. They have some SDL ones so you can be pretty sure it'll work there.
I'm pretty sure SDL does not support DOS. I've heard of people switching over from SDL to Allegro for DOS projects because the latter does support it, but that's just hearsay.

I totally agree with Kylotan on not using DJGPP at all, though. Not unless there's some realy compelling reason for doing so. MinGW is probably a wiser move.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

As far as I know SDL DOES support DOS. I used it myself so either I am misunderstanding or it just works. You should have the apropriate librarys though...
-----------------------------Sismondi GamesStarted c++ in October 2004...
Please note that the SDL 1.2.8 version has some problem with the GCC compiler. Apaprently, the GCC parser has a bug which prevents it from compiling SDL 1.2.8 apps correctly. There is a quick workaround for it but, I suggest either using the 1.2.7 versions or try out the Visual C++ express beta edition.
"There is no dark side of the moon." - Pink Floyd

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement