Advertisement

Mixer and WMA files

Started by January 03, 2005 05:15 PM
5 comments, last by raptorstrike 19 years, 8 months ago
ok i tried using a WMA file with SDL_Mixer and it didnt work so i have a couple questions: Can Mixer use WMA files? If not is there a converter If not is there any way to do this then?
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Quote: Original post by raptorstrike
ok i tried using a WMA file with SDL_Mixer and it didnt work so i have a couple questions:

Can Mixer use WMA files?

If not is there a converter

If not is there any way to do this then?

1. I do not think so
2. It is better to convert the .wma into a .wav than either use the .wav or make it into .ogg/.xm/.mp3

WMA is specially encoded like a mp3, but a little different forat - I do not know if this format is avaliable to the public. What I would do is if the sounds are short, then convert them into .wav files first. Than you can convert to a better format - I'd suggest .ogg b/c SDL_mixer can use them. It cannot use .mp3's in Win32 mode so you will need to use a different Sound API (such as FMod or OpenAL) to play them. I hope this helps a bit!

- Drew
Advertisement
how would i convert it?

thanks for the help[grin]
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Quote: Original post by raptorstrike
how would i convert it?

thanks for the help[grin]

NP! Take a look at this free program from download.com:

Quote: Convert your audio files fast to WMA, MP3, MP2, WAV, and OGG formats. Cheetah Audio Converter also preserves tag information during conversion. Just drag files into the program window and click Convert. Cheetah Audio Converter also can convert your audio files to different bit rates ranging from 11,025Hz to 48,000Hz. Note: This program contains no spyware or adware.

Before I recommened it, I downloaded it myself and gave it a try. It is very simple and perfect for you. You simply drag the media items (WMA files in your case) into the bottom half of the screen, choose the output format as well as the settings, choose where to save all of them, and hit convert! That's all there is to it. I hope this is what you need.

- Drew
thanks a ton [grin]
Anytime!
Advertisement
ok I got it up and running. I did decide to switch to OGG because WAV literaly used 10X the memory and Mixer can use em any way now its just a matter of finding good music that hasnt been copy writed like crazy [grin] thanks again.

P.S pretty sweet little converter there too. It says that some of the files are encrypted and it cant convert but thats probibly just the music i got off CDs the music from the web (mp3s and such) work fine in convertion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement