🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

contract questions

Started by
10 comments, last by The President 23 years, 5 months ago
I''m trying to get some help with ''virtual team'' internal contracts. I want to protect both the team and the member, (anybody who contributes) What I would like, would be some examples of contracts like this, and / or someone to help me write one for my specific needs. I want to keep the following in mind: - the ''group'' = ''all members'' - protect the work contributed by members, so the ''team'' can''t take advantage of somebody. - protect the team from having to stop/replace members/work because a member leaves and wants to take their work(engine/models/music) I want each member to grant sole permision to the team to use the work which is done.. at the same time protecting the member. I want members who are not active to be able to be ''dismissed'' from a team, and in doing so, the work would go to the team. If a member leaves on his own will, then the work goes to the team. If the team doesn''t want a member for political / personal reasons, then the team doesn''t have the right to use this persons work. I want to create a loose, yet professional like structure to protect the team and the members. Ofcourse if somebody doesn''t pull their weight, a ownership of their work wouldn''t really make much sense, since they probably didn''t do anything anyways. Well I just wanted your comments on this, or an alternate system, to avoid ''officical'' lawyers, and business licenses and such. What I want to create, with my experience, is a team that exists virtually, physically in their own respect, but is noted as an ''underground, elite, independant group''.. with members, voting, etc, promotion and everything let me know Prez
Avid Gamer & Designer
Advertisement
Hmm. There was a company set up that does this sort of thing. Asynchronicity or something like that. I can''t find their website anymore, but it should be something like www.asynchronicity.com... Maybe that helps.

If you want to set up a structure for this yourself, make sure you think it through well enough. Perhaps you need a central database to store all the code and stuff, and that''s not cheap - either in size or effort...

Kind regards,
Maarten Egmond.
Interested to know what I'm doing?Check out http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor
Here we go, found the address in another thread here:
www.asynchrony.com

Good luck...

Kind regards,
Maarten Egmond.
Interested to know what I'm doing?Check out http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor
Well, he found the link while I was typing, so I deleted my linking post. But anyway, they way they handle it is that they own any work or code that you make. Which I dislike...

Null and Void
It is an inexperienced programmer who speaks of the length of his works.
It is an experienced one who speaks of the briefness.
http://www.crosswinds.net/~druidgames/
yeah I dislike that also...not that my code is anything special

but I still don''t like it.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change sometimes, the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by The President
I''m trying to get some help with ''virtual team'' internal contracts. I want to protect both the team and the member ...

They''re called "stone soup" groups. They''re very popular in the Linux world. The grand-daddy of them all is FractInt. Last I heare they were still alive and kicking tush. Look ''em up and see if they''re guidelines will work for you.

http://spanky.triumf.ca/www/fractint/fractint.html

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass -- Jethro Tull
quote: Original post by The President
I''m trying to get some help with ''virtual team'' internal contracts. I want to protect both the team and the member ...

They''re called "stone soup" groups. They''re very popular in the Linux world. The grand-daddy of them all is FractInt. Last I heare they were still alive and kicking tush. Look ''em up and see if their guidelines will work for you.

http://spanky.triumf.ca/www/fractint/fractint.html

He who made kittens put snakes in the grass -- Jethro Tull
I went to the website you mentioned, I didn''t see anything about guidelines or their infrastructure.

If you could direct me to some sort of sample contracts, terms & agreements.. or somebody out here who could listen to what I want and help draft such a think from the kindness of their heart and possible royalty cut.

Best
President
Avid Gamer & Designer
Damn the company I work for owns my work, if I quit the team....the team goes on and somebody else takes my work and finishes it without me. Believe me it''s hard enough in this industry....3rd party contractors = fucked.

If your forming a company, but don''t have any co-founders things will get harder. If you''re a group of friends I''m guessing you all own partition of the company thus all work belongs to the company....meaning if one person drops...the team keeps his/her work. Buuuutttt! If you''re a founder you have the right to gain profit from any thing made by that company even if you resign as a team member so long as your not bought out....If you helped create an idea you can''t be fired from the team....or it''s called off...however if you quit....the team goes on. If you created a idea such as a story you have the right to refuse the completion of the project before 50% is complete....afterward the majority (team) gains control of the idea...if the company is registered the company owns the product from start...likely. If someone else hires you to work-for-hire (develope their idea) all material from start to finish belongs to them.....even if you get fired or quit. Hard...but that''s the industry.
Working Late + Coke and chips = Game Development-
Hi, I like to think of myself as a game designer, and I''ve always been happy to critique others work.

I am looking for a lawyer or somebody who is capable of helping draft my ideas and expectations into simple, straightforward, confusion-free, loop-hole plugged contracts.

I need contracts for:
(1) membership into the group-
protecting the team as well as the member

This contract should do what I have stated in the first (post)
as well as information I will send to whomever is nice enough to help me:

Please if you are willing and can take a hour or so to do this for me, I will send you a draft I have already done and if you could go over it, revise it, look over the terms and agreements I have written, it would be more than appreciated.

Thanks
NICK
contact me @ n.ferreira@wmich.edu
Avid Gamer & Designer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement