Advertisement

OpenAL - crash when using surround speakers?

Started by January 26, 2005 05:20 PM
1 comment, last by cotif 19 years, 7 months ago
I have been developing a sound system for a 3D game, using OpenAL. One of the first things I did was establish a source manager so that I could play the same buffer on different sources, and also not allocate more than the 32 sources that are available. When using headphones, the 3D positional sound works perfectly between the listener and all playing sources. However, when I plug in a surround sound system, the sounds do not play all the way through, and then it crashes. Has anybody experienced this before? One of the main features that brought me to OpenAL was the ease of doing 5.1 surround sound. For any people interested, here's the specs of the setup I'm using... Computer: HP - compaq nx9500 External Sound Card: SoundBlaster Audigy2 NX Speakers: Inspire T7700 7.1 Surround Sound Compiler: Visual Studio .Net Enterprise Architect 2003 (C++) Sound API: OpenAL 1.0 (using Direct3D) OggVorbis 1.0.1 Any knowledge is appreciated! :)
One thing I just noticed is that you are using the 'OggVorbis 1.0.1' library. Take note that the OGG implementations in OpenAL are not fully 'finished' yet, as with the rest of the library. If you happen to use OpenAL's OGG functions, try using wav files instead and see if you get the same results.
Advertisement
That's an excellent point. I will try that immdeciately and report my findings. I'm not sure if it's a related point, but I noticed some people were having a problem with some version of wrap_oal.dll, and had to use ct_oal.dll instead. The problem was related to Sound Blaster Audgy series cards, and that's exactly what I'm using. But, I cannot find this ct_oal.dll anywhere. It's not installed my system, and I've tried installing both with the card connected and without. It's also not available for download, for what I can tell. In any case, I will try using wav's instead of ogg's to test out your idea. Thank you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement