🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Putting the 'Game Art' back into this forum

Started by
11 comments, last by Luxury 23 years, 7 months ago
>Aren''t there any professional artists here? Can''t there be any interesting topics here? Can''t we have a discussion that doesn''t fall into the "what program do you use?" trap? Come on people. How about some more techniques, ideas, and info?

Could it be that professional artists have too much to do to be wasting time on message boards attached to sites that cater more to programmers than artists?

Or perhaps there are places where there are more professional artists on the boards so that any attempt to start up a discussion of techniques, ideas and info would reach a receptive and relevant audience?

And just because they''re pros, doesn''t mean they don''t fall into the Max vs. Maya and Photoshop vs Painter flamewars. It gets old real quick.

$0.02
Advertisement
Well, it seems that you have been reading this forum for quite some time if all these discussions are getting "old".

I''m wondering, if you don''t like any of the posts, why do you keep reading them? I don''t like carrots, so I don''t eat them, simple as that.

How do you define "receptive and relevant audience"? I went back to college, so I am not a full-time "professional" artist, but I have done several, well-paying jobs as an artist. Not in the field of gaming, they were all wall murals or store fronts, but that doesn''t mean it wasn''t art.

Have you tried to post a technique or theory idea for discussion? Try it, you might be surprised what you get for replies.

Forgive me if I sound like a d*ck, I don''t mean to.

=================================
If you choke a smurf, what color does it become?
ok...first off...this was not a big complaint. this was a small little thing that makes me mad. otherwise i wouldnt even be coming to this forum. this seems like it is turning into something much bigger than it should be.

second...i know that this is mostly a programmers website, with this little art forum as a little offshoot of it. so i am not expecting that advanced of topics here. i realize that most of the people here are teenagers who just got their hands on studio max and want to make games but have no idea how. also...that most people here are independant and not "professional" artists, as i stated, and i was probably too harsh. but other than that...

but also...i do have quite a few questions. i am no expert, and plainly admit that. i have never worked on a big name game, but i have completed enough small independant things to feel like i know what i am doing. i do however have a job as an "professional" artist using both 2d and 3d.

i would like to help to make this a better forum. with questions ranging from beginners to advanced. and i do feel that post like the "post your art here", and the new textures post by ahw are very helpful.

i hope that this cleared up some things for most of you.

-Luxury

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement