🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Im still learning, and need help

Started by
2 comments, last by AynRand 23 years, 7 months ago
Hi people. This is my first time in this forum, only cause I just got 3dStudioMAXR3.1. I also have Photo Shop 5.5. I am also learning Windows Programming and Direct X. (it seems like I am in way over my head but I like feeling that way!) Just a couple of questions: (1) If you create a model in 3DS, how do you put it in your code? Please answer with theory, or I won''t know what you will be talking about. (2) How about animations? do you make them on 3ds and put them in or do you make them with Direct3D? (3)for 2D Graphics, should Photoshop work well... and (4)Are levels in 3D games made on 3ds or some other way? and what about 2d games? please be aware that I am just starting out in game art just to see if I prefer that over programming, and I have a basic knowledge of 3ds and photoshop from books I bought that teach the IDE''s. Thanks a lot! ~Dave
Advertisement
1) You make a model in 3d studio max, save it as a .3ds (I think) file, then use a converter that comes with the directx sdk that converts it into a .x file, than use direct3d stuff to load the x file
2) After you load the x file, you have control over the vertices and stuff, so you can animate them, unless you want a cut scene, then just export it as an avi (or whatever format you prefer) and display it using directdraw.
3) yes, it''s what all the pros use.
4) not sure, but you might be able to get away with just using a data file, than reading the level data from the respective file.

hope that answers some of your questions.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
You can''t export the animation info to a .3ds file format, it is only used to hold the model and texture info.

To save animation info you have to use .max file format

Albatros!!! Get you Albatros here!!!
Albatros!!! Get you Albatros here!!!
Hey thanks guys!

Im getting more into 3d graphics everyday now, and its real fun. Thanks for the help again!

Monty Python kicks ass!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement