🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New RPG project for newbie programmers

Started by
1 comment, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 9 months ago
Hi i am a 3d artist maybe i could join
you in you game project
Advertisement
I'm starting a RPG with a "thief" style interface. It will be of an AD&D era. Unlike Everquest and like games I want to make it more player dependent adding stealth, trap laying, damage depending on where you hit them(also from higher ground or lower etc..) as well as strength. this is primarily for a portfolio, but if it hits big any revenues will be split between all people that help in the programming(possibly some more than others if one person does the entire graphics or something of course).
I'm going to make it from the ground up so I get to know all areas of game programming better(no engines or other software will be used). It will be programmed in MS(sucks)VC++ 5.0, but I can translate programming from VB, Basic, Fortran, or old versions of C if you don't know C++. If interested contact me at:
abreschd@fisher.unco.edu
I'm good at making elegant little algorithyms and quick math functions(fast random number generators etc..), but know little about graphics programmingor putting in over the net multiplayer coding. All help is welcome.
What I'm planning on doing, is making a list of all the functions/subroutines needed for the program with the variables input and the variables returned. I will send this list to everyone interested. If you want to make a function you can send it to me, I might make minor adjustments to make it more compatible with other areas of the game(check for variables that are used as globals etc..) then if it is as good or near equal to others I will put it in place of the function listed on the list(with programmers name so it is on record with everyone and any companies that get interested can see who is doing some nice coding.). If anyone has suggestions for a piece of code they can rewrite it and compare it that way. I believe this will get some very nice functions if I can get many people on this, plus then everyone can see some new ways to write the code.
I'll try to have the lists basics done this weekend, but when I send it if you can see additions please send them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement