🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Multithreaded

Started by
1 comment, last by Suudy 18 years, 11 months ago
Suudy: This sounds like an excellent way to use AngelScript. :) Does it work well in a multithreaded environment? I haven't worked too much on making it thread safe, just a few minor things that were necessary. You did compile the library with USE_THREADS, didn't you? We haven't heavily tested any of the multi-threaded capabilities. However, since it claims support... ;) We did compile with USE_THREADS. However, it is important to note that we are using ModelSim's SystemC compiler to compile the code. ModelSim uses MiniGW g++, which we used to compile into a static library. From there we link that using the SystemC compiler (sccom--based upon MiniGW) to link into a final shared library. ModelSim loads this shared library at simulation runtime. As a side note, what we really wanted to do was use the FLI and do callbacks from a VHDL model, rather than the SystemC interface. But the FLI is only supported on ModelSim SE (at a cost of $25k--no kidding!), where we could use SystemC in Modelsim PE (only $2k). But Angelscript works wonderfully within the SystemC paradigm. Thanks for the excellent library!
Advertisement
Where did you see the claim for support for multithread? I need to know, because maybe I'll have to revise that claim.

I do not trust the library's support for multithreading, because I haven't been able to test it much. I want to support multithreading, but it is a difficult subject, and without a robust test framework I probably can't do it. Because of this, the support is only experimental. Also, it probably only works on Win32, since the methods used are from the Win32 API.

Should you have any problems with it, don't hesitate to tell me so that I can fix it.

I must admit I don't know what you're talking about [wink]. I don't know anything about FLI, VHDL, SystemC, or ModelSim.

Regards,
Andreas

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

Quote: Original post by WitchLord
Where did you see the claim for support for multithread? I need to know, because maybe I'll have to revise that claim.

You are right, no explicit claim. My apologies.

What I meant ws that there are hooks for multithreading. And with that is an implication of support for multithreading.

Quote: I do not trust the library's support for multithreading, because I haven't been able to test it much. I want to support multithreading, but it is a difficult subject, and without a robust test framework I probably can't do it. Because of this, the support is only experimental. Also, it probably only works on Win32, since the methods used are from the Win32 API.

Fortunately we are using it on a Win32 box. So far, things are great.

Quote: I must admit I don't know what you're talking about [wink]. I don't know anything about FLI, VHDL, SystemC, or ModelSim.

Nor is it something you should worry about. It is more of an issue with Mentor Graphics and their decision to provide limited features in their mid-range product. I was throwing it out to give more of a feel for what we are doing.

Suudy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement