🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Studio MAX cut version to be released for free

Started by
9 comments, last by Zonbie 23 years, 5 months ago
Thought I''d post here what Discreet (www.discreet.com) are up to. They are planning to release a gamers version of the latest MAX call (at the minute) 3D Studio gMAX. This is to be free to public with an SDK for developers, and contains tools required for character model creation. Well, this sounds like what everybody has been asking for, it evens allows "game pack" but to find out out them goto http://www2.discreet.com/games/dc_gmax1.html Personally I consider it a step in the right direction! What to you all think of this? www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
Advertisement
It sounded to me like you have to have 3DSMax in the first place before you can get gMax.

How cheap is the cheapest version of 3DSMax?

Never cross the thin line between bravery and stupidity.
Okay this is what the gist of it as I understand it:

gMAX will exist in 2 versions-
a pay-per-title developer version
a free user-end version

The developer pays for the use of gMAX to create a specialized game data file that gMAX can work with. In this way gMAX can function as a level and character editor for game creation.
Then if the developer chooses to allow user-end mod creation they realease a ''game pack''.

The normal joe-shmo can use the free version to model stuff, but can''t do anything with the models unless they buy a game that has released a ''game pack'', they then link the game pack into their version of gMAX and then they can export their models to that game.

so in summary:
for developers it can be a level/character editor
for home usesrs it can be a mod maker

Just because the church was wrong doesn''t mean Galileo wasn''t a heritic.
It just means he was a heritic who was right.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
quote:
quote from the gMax FAQ

Discreet will make gMAX Development Kits available to game developers who own current release licenses of 3d studio max and who are working on a specific, named game title.

So you have to own a full version of 3dsmax before you can get gMax, sorry fellas .

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
Nope, I think yer wrong The dev kit isn''t the same as gMax (at leat, I don''t think so) I''m pretty sure its free
Peon
The theme behind gMAX is it''s free. You don''t need any version of MAX. Yeah, it''s cut down (modelling and animation are there but with some features removed - NURBS I think are one)

In short, if you''re a buddy artist you''ve got a easy way to learn the interface and tools of an industry standard modeller and get some of your stuff out in the community with minimum fuss

gMAX - The whole point is it''s free. The dev kit is not available to anyone unless you are a developer.
So gMAX is free.. What if I wanted to create mod''s with gMAX.
Would I have to pay money at some stage? or do you only pay if you are a ''qualified game developer'' and use it for a new game?

- ]Reaper[
a clip from discreet''s site
-----
For game players and mod makers, gMAX will be downloadable from designated web sites at no charge. Pricing for the Development Kits and distribution licenses are not being disclosed publicly at this time, however Discreet is speaking with game developers who have qualifying titles scheduled for 2001 release and beyond. In general, game developers who want to tie gMAX to their game will pay a two part licensing fee; 1) to create Game Packs internally for development use, and 2) to optionally distribute them in a compatible form with the public gMAX application. The initial licensing fee is extremely low, and provides the game developer with a gMAX Development Kit for the same number of users as the licensee has current seats of 3d studio max. This allows the use of gMAX for the purpose of building the actual game title itself and for gMAX Game Pack development and testing to begin. If and when the game developer exercises the optional distribution license, a gMAX Game Pack may then be distributed publicly for that named title. The license fee is fixed (no royalties) and is levied on a per-title basis. Please contact the Discreet Animation Account Manager in your region (or Discreet at 800-869-3504 or 514-393-1616*) to set up a meeting to discuss your 2001 game titles and the timing of any projects for which you are considering the production of a Game Pack.
-------
it sounds to me like the game developer will buy one of the kits, set it up for their game... then YOU get to download it from their site... also, a key note gMax doesn''t even have a scan line renderer...just preview stuff, i bit more is restricted than just ''nurbs''... take a look yourself at discreet''s site...theres a link on www.flipcode.com
check it out... then read ALL the text about it.

-mike
in case you''re all lazy, most of the info can be found on this page:
http://www2.discreet.com/games/dc_gmax6.html

and links on it
quote:
From http://www2.discreet.com/games/dc_gmax2.html
What?! You''re giving away 3d studio max?
In a sense, yes! The gMAX initiative will result in a version of 3d studio max tailored for game level and character design - for the mods community - freely available on the web and supported by multiple game titles

Well, I think that about sums it up...cool =o)

(o=   Cliff_Hawkens   =o)
[email=erydo@gdnmail.net" style="color: #ff0000; text-decoration:none; cursor:help;](o= erydo =o)[/email]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement