🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Game Sprites

Started by
16 comments, last by Survival2020 23 years, 3 months ago
I have always learned 3D graphics but right now I am making a 2D RPG/Adventure game and want to stick with 2D graphics for speed reasons. Can someone point me to a good site with tutorials or something? I just need to know how to get started doing my own sprites? Thnx
Advertisement
So you want to be a pixel artist?

Everything he says is right on. Hope it helps.

.travois.
One great method of testing your tiles (if you don't have access to a working game engine in which to test them) is to write a very simple HTML file which has the background image set to your tile image. This causes the tile image to be repeated when you open the HTML file with your web browser, and you can easily spot "bad" tiling.

You can even go as far as building a small portion of a map with your tiles in HTML, to see how your tiles look together. To do this, create a TABLE with the border, cellpadding and cellspacing values set to zero, and start placing your tiles into their own cells (TD). As long as the tiles are of the same size, they'll line up correctly.

It does take a little bit of HTML knowledge to do this, but aside from that all you need is a web browser, notepad and your tiles

--JSP

Edited by - JSP on February 19, 2001 4:40:21 AM
If youre using photoshop you don´t need html to test your tiles.. you can just use the fill with pattern option.

oh yes, and for ground tiles don´t use too many filters, it usually looks better when it´s more "hand made" (at least imho)

I am trying to use photoshop but I am looking for a good site or article to learn how to make like a little cartoon character and castles, and all the rest of the stuff.
Hase,

We''re propably not talking about the same "pattern fill" here, but the one I''ve tried using (Filters -> Render) only allows you to use greyscale PSD files as the fill image. This is in Photoshop 5.5.

I guess this is one of those features that I simply haven''t found, regardless of using Photoshop for years (no, I never touched the manual). Where is the fill feature *you* are talking about? It sounds nifty enough.

--JSP
To fill with pattern in Photoshop 5.5 do the following:

Select the area you want to use as a pattern with selection tool. Go to Edit->DefinePattern. Now the pattern is ready to be used. Change to Paint Bucket Tool (the fill tool). Then in the tools options, change the "Contents" option from Foreground to Pattern. Now when you fill an area, it will use the pattern instead of the forground color.

The same feature exists in Paint Shop Pro, but is much easier to use there and has fewer steps involved.

Carl "trixter"[email=carl@trixoft.com]carl@trixoft.com[/email]http://www.trixoft.com
Yup, that was it. Great to test your tiles. But if you have multiple interlocking tiles you have to do it by hand anyway (best done with layers).
Also very useful the Offset filter. Just set it to half of the tiles height and width, this is an easy way to get out those nasty patterns.
for some reason my offset doesnt work I pick the wrap around option and put half of the length and width and it just makes a small square anyone know whats wrong?
I am working on a 2D RPG/Adventure game also, and I am stuck in the same position as you. I found the tutorial TV mentioned very interesting since the games that the writer used as inspiration are the same ones I am using!

Anyway, if you find anything on the net, like any tutorials or anything, then please tell me about them. Also, if you would like, I think it may help if we tried to work on some art together, since I am in the exact same position as you are (I am far from an artist, but I really want to turn this idea into a game).

My e-mail address is alex@gdnmail.net if you want to message me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement