🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Link Errors

Started by
4 comments, last by Machaira 24 years, 8 months ago
I'm not sure about the the first one, but the last two are functions defined in the multithreaded library, not the single threaded library which you are linking with.
Advertisement
Forgive me for sounding stupid but, HUH? So where did the library that is referenced come from? The only help I could find on this error in the help files had something to do with a switch that is not set in my project.

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

the first one means that you've included a header in a file, and that one includes another header which includes also the same header. I don't really know how to explain, but if you play with your headers, then you'll find that the first error, will suddenly diappear.

------------------
Dance with me......

In VC, if you want to use beginthread, beginthreadex, endthread, etc., you must link with the multithreaded library. In Project Settings, under C++/Code Generation, select one of the "multithreaded" libraries to link with it.

Can anyone interpret these link errors? I know it has something to do with the placement of the #include afx.h line, but I'm not sure why?

nafxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z) already defined in LIBCD.lib(dbgdel.obj)
nafxcwd.lib(thrdcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __endthreadex
nafxcwd.lib(thrdcore.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __beginthreadex

The afx.h is in a main header file (it's also the only thing in the header) and is included in 4 other headers, my DirectDraw class header, my map class header, my DirectSound class header, and a class I have for handling rooms in my RPG.

Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info please let me know.

Thanks

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

OK, I've narrowed this problem down to one chunk of code:

code:
bool CMap::Load(char* lpsFileName){	//CFile MapFile;	/*if (!MapFile.Open(lpsFileName, CFile::modeRead | CFile::typeBinary))	{		TRACE("Unable to open map file %s\n", lpsFileName);		return false;	}*/	//Make sure file is a DemonRift map file.	//1st line should be "DEMONRIFT"	char sFileTag[10];	//MapFile.Read(sFileTag,9);	sFileTag[9] = 0;	if (strcmp(sFileTag, "DEMONRIFT") != 0)	{		//TRACE("&s is not a valid DemonRift map file\n", lpsFileName);		return false;	}	//Make sure map version is the same as the game	short iMapVersion;	//MapFile.Read(&iMapVersion, sizeof(iMapVersion));	if (iMapVersion != iVersion)	{		//TRACE("Map %s is version %d and the game is version %d\n", lpsFileName, iMapVersion, iVersion);		return false;	}	//MapFile.Read(&iWidth, sizeof(iWidth));	//MapFile.Read(&iHeight, sizeof(iHeight));	for(short i=0;i<=iWidth;i++)	{		for(short j=0;j<=iHeight;j++)		{		}	}	return true;}

Uncommenting any one of the commented out lines of code produces this link error:

nafxcwd.lib(afxmem.obj) : error LNK2005: "void __cdecl operator delete(void *)" (??3@YAXPAX@Z) already defined in LIBCMTD.lib(dbgdel.obj)
Debug/DemonRift.exe : fatal error LNK1169: one or more multiply defined symbols found

I've changed the library to the multi-threaded version. What is weird is that uncommenting one of the TRACE lines produces the same error as uncommenting say the

CFile MapFile;

line.

The afx.h file is in a header (the only thing in that header) that is only included in one other place, my sound class, which only initialized DirectSound, sets the coop level, creates a buffer and sets it's format.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement