🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++ Workshop - Inheritance (Ch. 12)

Started by
39 comments, last by Dbproguy 16 years, 1 month ago

Welcome to the GDNet C++ Workshop – Ch. 12

For a complete introduction to this workshop, please look here. Workshop Overview This workshop is designed to aid people in their journey to learn beginning C++. This workshop is targeted at highly motivated individuals who are interested in learning C++ or who have attempted to learn C++ in the past, but found that without sufficient support and mentoring they were unable to connect all the pieces of this highly complex but powerful programming language. This is a 'guided' self-teaching C++ workshop. Each student is responsible for taking the time to read the material and learn the information. The community and tutors that arise out of this workshop are here for making the learning process run more smoothly, but are not obligated to baby-sit a person's progress. Because everyone will be working from the same textbook (Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days 5th Ed.), students may find it easier to get answers to the specific questions they might have. There is no minimum age requirement, and there is no previous programming experience required. Additionally, this workshop does not attempt to defend C++ as a language, nor does it attempt to demonstrate that C++ is either more or less useful then other programming languages for any particular purpose. People who intend to start a discussion about the differences between C++ and ANY other languages (except as are relevant to a particular discussion), are encouraged to do so elsewhere. This workshop is for educational, not philosophical discussions. Quizzes & Exercises Each week will have quizzes and exercises posted in the weekly threads. Please try and answer them by yourself. As well, please DO NOT post the answers to Quizzes and Exercises within this thread. Once it becomes acceptable to post the answers to quizzes and exercises, an additional thread will be created each week specifically for the purpose of posting quiz answers. If you try with reasonable effort but are unable to answer the questions or complete the exercises, feel free to post a clarification question here on the thread. Tutors, myself, or others will do the best we can to point you in the right direction for finding the answer.

Chapter 12 – Implementing Inheritance

Introduction Heya all, Welcome to week 10! This week we'll explore the chapter on Inheritance. This is a fundamental part of all object oriented languages as it is the primary feature which allows code-reuse, while still being able to make subtle changes to your specific implementation. In this chapter we'll look at what Inheritance is, how it's implemented in C++, how to protect data when using inheritance, and we'll be introduced to the virtual function table - a stepping stone to polymorphism. This chapter is approximately 32 pages and will end, as usual, next Sunday. In addition to this week's chapter, make sure you check out Project 1. This project is designed to test everything you've learned so far. Expressions, branching, functions, pointers, classes, loops, and object oriented design. Additionally, it may be required to peek into the chapter on arrays for easier implementation. I'm looking forward to seeing what each person following the tutorial can come up with. If you find you're having technical questions about how to do something, you might want to go back and re-read a chapter or 2. If you're having questions about design, and where to get started, well...welcome to the wonderful world of problem solving. Please feel free to post questions in the Project 1 thread on how to design the program. Please remember to use OPINION and WARNING tags whenever applicable. As well, feel free to post your own insights, and review questions or exercises beginning Wednesday or Thursday. Outline of the Reading - Chapter 12
  1. What is Inheritance?
  2. Private versus Protected
  3. Inheritance with Constructors and Destructors
  4. Overriding Base Class Functions
  5. Virtual Methods

Good Luck!

[Edited by - jwalsh on May 30, 2007 1:02:45 PM]
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Advertisement
Just what I needed for the project :D
[OPINION]
Unless im really out of it, I dont really see why you would need inheritance in Project 1.
[/OPINION]

[Edited by - kingIZZZY on August 22, 2006 11:24:52 PM]
Quote: Original post by kingIZZZY
Unless im really out of it, I dont really see why you would need inheritance in Project 1.

I'm not planning on writing each menu from scratch. I want to write one base menu and extend from that one for each menu in the game.

Also, I might make a Character and make the PlayerCharacter and ComputerCharacter extend from that. Although I'm not sure about that last one, those two characters might need the exact same functionality.
Eh. I wrote it in C. In about two hours. You never need inheritence; it just makes some stuff easier. An 'ooped' design now will probably make the later projects easier, though.

[edit]I should say, you don't need language support for inheritence. Some problems may still require you to mimic that behaviour with other means.[/edit]
Quote: Original post by Deyja
Eh. I wrote it in C. In about two hours. You never need inheritence; it just makes some stuff easier. An 'ooped' design now will probably make the later projects easier, though.

[edit]I should say, you don't need language support for inheritence. Some problems may still require you to mimic that behaviour with other means.[/edit]

It's important to note that this is a C++ Workshop. I do not encourage anyone to use C to implement anything. If you're using C to implement the projects, you're missing the point.

Also, I'd like to remind people who are attempting to help others to use the [OPINION] tags when you're stating something which may be your opinion, and not empirically proven true.

[Edited by - jwalsh on August 28, 2006 2:36:56 PM]
Jeromy Walsh
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
Quote: I'm not planning on writing each menu from scratch. I want to write one base menu and extend from that one for each menu in the game.
[OPINION]
Several questions arise if you think of menus as classes;
1. how will this indeed save you the work of re-typing all different menus and sub-menus? even with inheritance, every menu has its different choice print-out, aswell as different responses to each choice-input by user. How will this (-making a menu an OBJECT) be shorter than making global menu functions?
2. In menus, one function branching to another function makes alot more sense, than one menu object creating another menu object who's inheriting the attributes of a base-menu.
3. A menu is not an object, A menu doesnt need memory allocation for private variables etc. A menu is just a branch of code leading you to other branches of the program you may want to use. An object is something of the real world you would like to simulate, like armor, or weapons, or characters. And these objects are created, used, and destroyed in thier own useful part of the program- their appropiate global function.
[/OPINION]

(p.s. if you just want to use the functionality of a class to make menu-coding shorter, refer to question 1.)
Quote: Original post by kingIZZZY
Quote: I'm not planning on writing each menu from scratch. I want to write one base menu and extend from that one for each menu in the game.
[OPINION]
Several questions arise if you think of menus as classes;
1. how will this indeed save you the work of re-typing all different menus and sub-menus? even with inheritance, every menu has its different choice print-out, aswell as different responses to each choice-input by user. How will this (-making a menu an OBJECT) be shorter than making global menu functions?
2. In menus, one function branching to another function makes alot more sense, than one menu object creating another menu object who's inheriting the attributes of a base-menu.
3. A menu is not an object, A menu doesnt need memory allocation for private variables etc. A menu is just a branch of code leading you to other branches of the program you may want to use. An object is something of the real world you would like to simulate, like armor, or weapons, or characters. And these objects are created, used, and destroyed in thier own useful part of the program- their appropiate global function.
[/OPINION]

(p.s. if you just want to use the functionality of a class to make menu-coding shorter, refer to question 1.)

[OPINION]
1. Of course this will not save me the time of re-writing every option that is displayed on the screen. It will save me the time of writing how to get user input and validating user input. It will also give me the possibility of using each menu in a unified way. I can display any menu in my game in the same way, regardless of which menu it is.

If I would, for example, put my menu's on a stack, I would have a very easy way of opening and closing different menu's on top of each other. Each menu can be programmed separately of any other menu's. I will only have to code the opening and closing of a menu once, where you have to program this for each menu you create. Also, you'll need some extra logic for each menu to see which menu it should return to when it closes.

2. I don't think this makes a lot more sense. If you're adding a new menu the next time you go back to the game, you have to go back to, either your main class or your single menu class and add the menu there. Were I can add a new menu class, which inherits most of it's logic from the menu base class.

My base menu class will probably don't have any attributes. And it will only provide a couple of methods. So whats the sense in creating this base menu? My base menu will be a contract for each menu I create. Regardless of which menu I have I know that for example:
Menu.open(); opens my menu.
Menu.close(); closes my menu.

3. I think this is where we really disagree. Because a menu is not an object you can touch in the real world, like armor or a weapon, it doesn't mean it's not an object.
Also, I think in Object Oriented Programming you should avoid using global functions as much as you can. For each global function you lose all the benefits Object Oriented Programming gives you.
[/OPINION]
Quote: Original post by jwalsh
C is an outdated language, retired by its creators in favor of the easier to use and more powerful C++.

Uh, no.

Quote: Also, I'd like to remind people who are attempting to help others to use the [OPINION] tags when you're stating something which may be your opinion, and not empirically proven true.

Like the above?
Quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Quote: Original post by jwalsh
C is an outdated language, retired by its creators in favor of the easier to use and more powerful C++.

Uh, no.

If you wish to argue the point I suppose we can, but I tend to believe there's far more beneficial ways we could be spending our time.

[OPINION]
Writing new code in C when C++ is an option, or attempting to learn C before C++ is both counter-productive and unnecessary.
[/OPINION]

The formula followed for procedural programming has shown to not only not be helpful, but also detrimental to the learning process of C++.

If you wish to start yet another C vs. C++ discussion, please post it in FB or GP and PM me the link, and we can continue the discussion there. It does not belong here. I was not attempting to start a debate about the choices or uses of languages. I was simply trying to discourage people from using C in a C++ workshop. Which seems only fair.

Cheers!

[Edited by - jwalsh on August 23, 2006 3:35:52 AM]
Jeromy Walsh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement