🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Simulating a world

Started by
15 comments, last by JensB 23 years, 1 month ago
Hello All, Me and a cpl of friends are (as everyone else) sketching up ideas on a multi-user online world (like a mud). However, we are both very interested that instead of making it a "spawning" world that resets to a given state - We want a "evolving" world, that is a world simulation. E.g: *) Creatures don''t spawn, they breed *) Economic system that controls prices by supply and demand etc. Of course, we realize that this has to be balanced - You can''t simulate it all or the servers will choke, or the game might very well be boring. So, now I wonder, does anyone know of any good projects that attempts this today, where I can get inspiration from - Or does anyone have any good pointers on this? cheers, Jens
// Jens
Advertisement

you might start with artificial life conference proceedings
"the many sings to us"
I think that would make a very and NOT boring game, I can''t exactly point you towards anything, but I''d be interested in working on a project like that, if you need any help(design or programming) email me here
I never understood why Bill Gates named his company after his penis
I''m kinda wary of this idea. Breeding NPCs involves attraction, children, families, etc. Besides the programming difficulties, it would probably be very tricky to incorporate this effectively into the game world or story. It''s fine for anonymous NPCs like merchants and peasants and things; is this all you''ve intended it for? Because if a "hero" NPC gets killed, what happens to him? Most MMORPGs (this is basically what you''re programming, except on a smaller scale, right?) just have such hero NPCs respawn after a certain amount of time, resulting in respawn camping.

~CGameProgrammer( );

~CGameProgrammer( ); Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
That sounds ambitious! I like that idea, I''d say to avoid the overhead that would occur from continuously updating this world and having artificial life as such you''d need a server program to handle the world, which would be different in nature to the "game" that users play. It would take changes to the world from the users and update the world according to those changes and the ones it makes itself, then send that world to users as required. To make sending this information faster have certain sectors that will be sent to each person according to where they are to minimize the amount of info needed to be sent. This could be really cool! If you wanna talk more about it y2kiah@hotmail.com
I''ve been playing around with a similar idea, a living world
with a high level of interactivity. If you attack a tree
with an axe it will eventually fall.

But as said in mailings above the amount of work has set me off.
And since designing the world is much more fun that actually
programming it nothing has happened :-(

I have some ideas how to do this but...

/Trysil

(And, no I''m not from norway... almost not :-)
"A witty and slightly sarcastic quote from an unkown source"-- The generic SIG/trysil
Having spawning occur from the breeding of a succesful lineage of parents is a great idea, however, no doubt, all of a breed will be killed off eventually and you''ll have to spawn them or another new breed from scratch.
The brilliant thing is that the ones that survive to breeding age are the fittest members of that race and so their offspring will be better at defeating adventurers as the game progresses.

Mike
Sadly, this kind of project is not being attempted on any serious level because it''s not worth it. The amount of CPU time spent on maintaining this model which (a) only 10% of which will ever be seen by players, and (b) will most likely just get destroyed by players anyway, is simply not justified.

You can approximate the breeding process. You can also approximate the economical process, to a more limited extent. Let''s put it this way: there are professional economists working on this problem, and even they don''t have the answers. Modern economics is far from being a ''solved'' problem, never mind economics in an online fantasy land where the rules are very different. And originally, Ultima Online had a very developed ecological system, which could never work because the players would destroy anything. And that which they didn''t destroy, seemed interesting from a development point of view but had no effect on the gameplay.

Sorry to be negative, but I''d recommend not even trying. If you want to make a game that people can play, then work out approximations for what you want. If you want to do some sort of ecological and economical simulation, best not introduce human players.
I get the feeling that the word human is from the greek for "that which destoys ecologies".
Natural or virutal, it seems our special talent :-(.

MikeD
Especially ecologies that we can log out of at any point, without worrying about spending years in jail for killing things, or dying or starvation, etc etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement