🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinion on this idea please

Started by
5 comments, last by Marauderz 24 years, 7 months ago
Use what you want to use. It's the only way you'll ever get anything done.

If you worry that you're doing things the "right" way as defined by everyone else, you'll find that you're hopping in tight, little circles like a one-legged rabbit...

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

Advertisement
whats wrong with rabbits?!
I would add one thing. Don't always believe what Microsoft says. Use your own experience.

For myself. I used VB for a while, until I changed to VC++, for the BETTER I think.

But it's your own choice, if you are a guru with VB, then you can well code a game.

------------------
Dance with me......

CJ : Hey don't worry I don't ever believe it when one company says a product out performs another.

Well I've toyed with VB more than VC++... C of course, is faster... more native... but VB well... I guess coding a VB DX is simpler... I just want to give it a try.

OK thanks for the input, will let you all know what happens.

------------------
-------------------------
-Now Working on Pokemon like Engine!

I should point out that when it comes to coding with DirectX VB is absolutely no easier to use than C++. Since you don't use any of its RAD tools when developing with DirectX you don't really make use of any of its niceties over C++. In fact, VB was really designed as a RAD and in my opinion isn't as suited to programming non-GUI games as C++ is. Also there's the fact that DirectX was originally coded for C to consider. On the other hand, I would be kind of interested to see how well DirectX performs in VB...
Well, currently I'm working on an RPG game engine that is something like Pokemon's. So it's a turn based RPG with little or no animation other than the main characther I'm just starting out see.

Anyway the thing is, out of a sudden errr... urge... I decided on using VB Direct X interfaces to code the game, I can hear most of you cringing already.

Well I just want to test the interfaces and see if they're as good as advertised.... and since MS themselves claim that VB is as fast as any C compiler... so I thought what the heck right?

My engine will use DD for display, RM for simple 3D model display, and IM for effects and 3D sprites

So what do you people think? Am I crazy to even think of using VB as the language to code my game?

ps. I can code DirectX with C... just want to try something different.

------------------

Why do people have the misconception that some languages are worse than others. Each language was made with something in mind. C++ is great and fast, but to make a windows program you have to learn all the api. VB is a little slower but you can make a win app in seconds. Then you have lisp perl and the other languages.

Use what the situation demands in terms of what you do know to start with, then what's the best to use from what you know.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement