🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating sprites!? )-;

Started by
3 comments, last by SikCiv 24 years, 7 months ago
Rendering has a lot of advantages.

1) Re-sizing is an automatic procedure (Imagine re-sizing 2000 frames of handdrawn animation - I have a feeling you entire art department will leave the project, screaming)

2) Re-use of base models is a lot simpler (E.g. one "person" type 3D model can easily be the base of several different fully animated sprites).

3) It is a lot simpler to get a common style across the full set of sprites (lightning and shadows are consistent + materials may be re-used)

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
Advertisement
For many frames it is easier to render 'em with 3DS, but if you have just 4 frames (arrows for a mouse cursor for example) it takes less time to draw and rotate them in a paint program.
Yeh, but 3D Studio is quite hard to use. Is there a package that is dedicated in creating sprite animations (preferably 3D based)?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

I was wandering how everyone creates their sprites (2D)?

Is it easy to create a 3D model say in 3D studio, then animate it frame by frame to a bitmap? Or is it easier to scan the sprite and modify it frame by frame in paintshop or mspaint?

Downloads:  ZeroOne Realm

You can use any 3d program to model your characters and animate them (Truespace is one of my favorites, and I've also heard Animation Master 99 is good). Or you could just use a program like photoshop, paint shop pro or gimp to scan in images, paint them, and continue that process for all the animations...sure it's a tedious task, but that's how disney does their cartoons! I suppose if your a good artist or animator it won't take too long to do...Good luck
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement