🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Getting Started

Started by
0 comments, last by tci 24 years, 7 months ago
I have been a C/C++ programmer for about 10 years and I also have a degree in computer science. I say this to describe my level of expertise in computer programming. I am pretty familiar with algorithms and program development, however, I am new to game programming. I am looking to create a game with similar 3D graphic as John Maddin football. Where would I start? I have read several books on 3D theory but nothing specific enough to translate into creating a game. Are there engine or software out there for this type of graphics? Should I use DirectX or OpenGL?

Help, where should I start?

Advertisement
Your choice of API depends on what platform you wish to develop for. If you've been programming for 10 years I'm sure your familiar with the process of designating your game & system requirements...if you want your game to run on Mac, Linux, and Windows use OpenGL. If your only developing for windows use DX. Personaly if I was in your position I'd look into some of the 3d game engines such as genesis3d, or crystal space. A football field wouldn't qualify as a "LARGE OUTDOOR AREA" so these engines should do fairly well on a football game & they include all the tools except for a paint program & modeler... Have fun
Joseph FernaldSoftware EngineerRed Storm Entertainment.------------------------The opinions expressed are that of the person postingand not that of Red Storm Entertainment.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement