🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Attention Artists! Will you help me?

Started by
12 comments, last by Tek Nical 23 years, 3 months ago
Okay, as I said before, I am learning C++ and am on my way to being a game programmer/developer. All of you were very motivational and helpful. Now, I know there is a more artistic side to games, the graphics etc. Not that the programming in itself isn''t artistic. My question now is: What do I need to do to be prepared for that challenge? Do I need to read any certain book that teaches drawing? Do I need to get good with a certain artistic program or certain type of program? If so, what book or what program? Whatever I need to do I should get started on it as soon as I can right? As I have seen that everyone here seems to be very experienced and all have very good advice and ideas I am turning to your expertise again for this question. Thanx, Tek : )
Advertisement
Hmm. It seems like artists are a minority here. Well, I guess I''m just going to have to do whatever I can think of. Painter 6 looks like good software. Mebbe I''ll give that a try. If any of you artists out there happen to stumble apon this please give me your advice.

Later,
Tek
>> My question now is: What do I need to do to be prepared for that challenge? <<

Well, I don''t know about books, if you want to have a go at artwork for games..try having a look at a 3D Package like Lightwave, Maya or MAX. Grab a book in a bookshop and have a read. If you are programming, this will be relavant. As far as 2D paint packages Paint Shop Pro is available at Version 7.01 to download from www.jasc.com It''s a 30 day trial, but all the same give it a blast.

Have a play around, and look at other peoples work, don''t copy and definately don''t "borrow" or "alter" other people work (this is frowned upon) for example try doing you own skin for Half-Life or Quake III Arena...again don''t just change colours or "add details", but if you do mess around like that, don''t release them publicy

Doing a skin like this is easy, all the UVs (the texture co-ordinates) are done for you, all you have to do is paint over the existing image!

Search for some decent Quake III Arena sites for extra tools, like model viewers etc.

www.3dcafe.com has tutorials and info on modelling and www.3dpalette.org is a good site with a decent forum

Hope this helps

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk
A good book (on conventional drawing skills) is "Drawing on the right side of the brain" (i forgot the author, but i can look if youre really interested). It gets you from zero to decent studies and portraits in a few months.

And if youre interested in texturing then skinning a few existing models is probably the easiest way to try it out. But for good skins you need the 2d-drawing skills as well...

3dsmax is a bit heavy for beginners, you might start out with something thats easier to get into (like truespace), it´s not really that good, but you can learn it by playing around with it (something that is very hard with 3dsmax, because of it´s gazillions of options and parameters).
Okay. Thanx. I''ll get that book and work my way up to skins. I have thought about getting trueSpace but I didn''t know if I should. If it would really get me accustomed to the CG software interface then I guess I should. To get used to 2d drawing I could use Painter 6 right (I''m feeling pulled to get that one)? Is Paint Shop Pro the best or is it just free? And if I were to get any 2d drawing software I would need a tablet to go with it right? If so, what size is best? Since you brought it up, Zonbie, is Quake III a good game? Just curious. I''ve never played it. And you certainly don''t have to worry about me copying other people''s work or anything like that. Thank you both!

Tek
Slow down there, there´s not really a need to go out there and buy ANY software.
What graphics package you end up with eventually will be a matter of personal taste, so look before you buy. Painter is especially good with a tablet, but to go and get a tablet is not really cost-effective.

Try and get the skill first (it does not really matter if you work on paper or digitally, it´s basically the same skill anyway), then buy expensive stuff

A tablet is a great thing indeed, provided youre good with a pencil already. To buy one and expect miracles will surely end in disappointment. And you can do pics that look good with a mouse. It just takes longer (sure, it´s not the same, but for most small stuff a mouse will do).

And IF you buy a tablet (which i´m not suggesting you should), get a small wacom, as they are expensive enought as it is. I have a Wacom Intuos A6, which is a comfortable size, if you like pencil or ink drawing. If you rather work with brushes on a big canvas you´d get a bigger one but thats far in the future anyway...

good luck
Thanx Hase!!! I''ll just get the drawing book you advised and learn to draw *first*. Lol, you so helpful! Thanx again!

Under no circumstances should a question not be asked,
Tek
Awhile back I asked about Painter for video games. A few people said it''s not as good as PSP or PhotoShop for games and other people said it''s all a matter of preference. I don''t know, I''ve not done any game art yet, but for it''s great for traditional art. Personally, I love Painter 5, that''s what I have. Corel bought Painter from Metacreations, so I don''t know if they have a free demo on their site like Metacreations did. That''s how I got to feel very comfortable with Painter before I bought it.
There is also a good book called "Painter 5 Wow!", can''t remember the author, but if you go with Painter, check it out. I think "Painter 6 Wow!" is out now, too.
To get your feet wet with 3D, try Strata3D or Blender. Both are free, but I prefer Strata3D much more than Blender. It was way easier to just grab and start in. The bad side of Strata is that the program is a free download, but the manual is like $25, and there are very few tutorials online. Blender has all kinds of tutorials to read online, I thought it was harder to use.
Heck, they are both free, check ''em both out.
I also grabbed a copy of Bryce 4 at my school''s bookstore. If you''re in college yet, you may be able to get a discount. It''s a cool program, don''t let all the Max and Maya people try and tell you it sucks. It''s great for beginners who want to eventually move up to Max, Maya, or other high-price/better quality software.
For all Bryce doubters, check out the galleries at:
Gallery
It''s not all Bryce, most of it is, and what is not Bryce is labeled with what program this guy used.
Guess I''m rambling, hope I gave you something to chew on.
Good luck!!
Painter (whatever version) has the best tablet support. Most wacoms even ship with a version of painter (classic i think)
Being as I am also on that path(student programmer), BUT ALSO a life time artist of many mediums, I would say... practice! Get books on anatomy, and look at lots of photographs and practice drawing and painting what you see. Start off in traditional methods and then try and play with some Adobe or Paint Shop Pro type of programs later. Remember art, whether it is painting, music, writing, or programming is to be enjoyed, pushed beyond known limits, and practiced obsessedly until people that like what you like and do what you do stick around and the others run away out of fear. Know what I mean? :D
Anam Nantom,
aka. Kevin A. Conner
http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/lothlorien/artists/conner/conner.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement