🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

capn_midnight

Started by
1 comment, last by capn_midnight 17 years, 8 months ago
Workshop participation thread for capn_midnight
Advertisement
My name is capn_midnight and I'm an alcoh.... crap, wrong room.

Seriously now. I primarly work as a web application developer. This work may soon see me moving to the grand state of Illinois. In college, I studied Computer Science with a concentration in Computer Graphics. Computer Science was a last minute decision on my part; most people expected me to studied Graphic Design.

When I was... I forget how old (11? 12?), I studied under an artist by the name of Ski Holm. Ski taught me everything I know about drawing and sketching. Over time, my activity level in the arts has ebbed and flowed. At one point it had been two years since I had touch a drawing pad and pencil.

Lately, I have pushed myself to express myself artistically. This has most recently culminated in attempts at painting. I have never formally studied painting, it is just something that I fiddle around with.

You can see a small sampling of my art work in the DeviantArt link in my signature. I will include a few thumbnails in this thread.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Well, I'm not going to do thumbnails. Some of the images are a little large, so I'll just do links.

These are very old, the first one is from my time with Ski and the second one is a few years after I stopped. The sig in the second pic says it's from 1998, so I was 15 when I made it.

Chronologically, I don't think I put this in the right spot, but whatever. This piece took me 3 solid days. It's a mix of colored pencils and whatnot on black paper. It was one of my first attempts at rendering something from my imagination alone.

A few digital pieces that I did in either Photoshop or Illustrator. #4 was made during a "One Sentence Forum Story Game" thread, representing the current progress in the story. I actually got paid for #06.

For a period of time, I apparently drew nothing but cowboys. I don't really recall why, but my infamous hat was purchased soon after. #09 was specifically meant to not fit on the screen. It forces the viewer to scroll and see what the first two characters are looking at. I liked the effect, most people miss it, unfortunately.

An on-going series of pieces on fantastic airships. It's about time that I did a new one -- I will probably paint it. #11 took an entire week. #12 was the first in a series of negative-space images that I did (unfortunately, the best one as well). #13 never acquiesced as I hoped.

I covered for Boolean a few times on the GDNet Comic. Pay attention to the titles, they are sometimes integral to understanding the comic.

Some paintings. #20 got sold to someone, I no longer have it. I really like the contrast of colors in #21, though I could have spent a little more time on the bridge instead of rushing the better part of the left half.

I have an issue with photoshopping our fearless leader :)

And, every once in a while I like to spread my creativity to physical representations. Last year's Halloween decoration (unfortunately, none this year).

[Edited by - capn_midnight on October 29, 2006 2:07:29 AM]

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement