🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Big B

Started by
20 comments, last by Big B 17 years, 5 months ago
Heres my alternate assignment #2. Its a statue of a tourist in Shanghai, China that I found in a big list of strange statues here (Warning: contains statue nudity)

Source:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Drawing:

I took about an hour to do, and I'm pretty happy with the results.
Advertisement
The last one is looking better. My only advice for you would be this:

It looks like you're using your left brain a bit on your drawings. This has always been my (and it seems, a lot of people's) problem learning to draw. What I mean by this is that it looks like you're drawing things, vs replicating lines and color. For example, it looks like you'll draw a face as a pair of eyes, a nose and a mouth, as opposed to simply looking at the face not as a face, but as lines and color as your eye sees it before the brain analyzes it and tells you what (in human terms) you're looking at.
Its odd that you'd say that since I'm left handed, and supposedly right brained. Although I'm not creative, athletic, and throw with my right hand. So really I think I just picked up a pencil with my left hand first.
The left/right brain thing is an unprofitable distraction, even though my recommended text is Edwards' The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. The truth is that learning to draw - realistically or otherwise - is learning to see. Our brains, our total brains, quickly abstract most of the visual information we are impressed with because otherwise we would be overloaded. The majority of learning to draw well is learning how to tap into that information that is normally discarded. The rest is learning how to recreate it recognizably.
Here's my vase/faces drawing. Better late than never.

I didn't experience any of the confusion over the L/R-mode switch. It might be because I read ahead a bit, but it seemed pretty natural to just copy the other side of the drawing.
Quote: Original post by Samith
It looks like you're using your left brain a bit on your drawings. ... What I mean by this is that it looks like you're drawing things, vs replicating lines and color...

I was going to say the exact opposite. My impression is that Big B is trying to copy details without regard to their importance. In the drawing of the statue, the cart and building behind it dominate, though they would be considered negative space in the picture. It is a picture of a statue, so even if you drew just the statue and nothing else, it would be a reasonably accurate depiction.

On the other hand, just copying pictures seems like a good way to train. When kids learn to write, they draw the letters of the alphabet over and over until they can draw them without copying them. In the same way, you might copy pictures until you can draw forms and textures without a reference.

Anyway, that's my opinion and I am not an expert, so take it with a grain of salt.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote: Original post by JohnBolton
I was going to say the exact opposite. My impression is that Big B is trying to copy details without regard to their importance. In the drawing of the statue, the cart and building behind it dominate, though they would be considered negative space in the picture. It is a picture of a statue, so even if you drew just the statue and nothing else, it would be a reasonably accurate depiction.

The cart and building dominate because they occupy more space in the drawing. Crop the drawing without changing anything else and the relationship is altered:

Click for full sized picture
Behold one of the greatest minds of the last century!

I also did the Picasso drawing. The only problem with it is that I cut the top of his head off. Otherwise I quite like it.

Not a bad pair of drawings. The proportions on the Picasso are slightly off - the shoulders are too narrow, for example, and it's quite possible that in the back of your mind you were very aware of the fact that you were drawing a guy in a chair. I know that I was when I did mine.

Try the photograph I posted to the assignment thread. I'll be posting another drawing assignment today.

I used Gimp to find the edges and started off that. Drawing Einstein was a bit tricky since the only well defined lines were on his forehead, everything else blended in a bit. I then switched to the original photo after finishing with the edged version since it left off your eyebrows (I thought something looked weird). There was some flipping between the two before I was happy with the results.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement