🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Install programs and level editors and such

Started by
3 comments, last by Brad 24 years, 7 months ago
Writing a level editor isn't particularly hard, but it's probably going to require learning some Windows programming. Usually, level editors are made while (if not before) you write the game, since you'll be using it yourself in all likelihood. As far as the install program goes, I don't see much point in writing your own. In the beginning, for smaller games, there is nothing wrong with using a zip utility to make a self-extracting .exe. Later you can switch to something like InstallShield.

- Dave

Advertisement
when you make your level editor, you should use the same graphics engine as you use in the game, so that it's WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get)

------------------

_________________Gecko___

_________________Gecko___Gecko Design
Well, if you want to find some usefull freeware for programmers, go to www.come.to/wtp
We have some install utilities as well on the page. Only Windows for the moment though
Well I'm still in my game programming infancy but one question is already starting to bother me. When I get up to making decent games I'm going to have to have a level editor and an install program and als of that good stuff. Is all that hard to do and where can I find info on it should the need arise?
As i recal, If you own the profesional/enterprise edition of one of Microsofts v6 development tools (i.e. VC++ 6) then there is a free install program you can download from microsoft.com.

Part of my job has always been to write install scripts for software and we use WISE. Now I'm not going to say it's much fun but Wise is very powerful and has always been able to do everything I have asked of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement