Advertisement

Student status

Started by February 01, 2007 01:00 PM
23 comments, last by spur4444 17 years, 2 months ago
Yes, you can still join. Though be warned that it's not especially active. Yours is the first post in, what, a month? Though I'm sure that if you ask a question you'll get an answer within a day or two. We seem to have some pretty dedicated answer-ers!
We should put a message somewhere that newcomers are always welcome as this seems to be the most frequently asked question on this board.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Ezbez
Yes, you can still join. Though be warned that it's not especially active. Yours is the first post in, what, a month? Though I'm sure that if you ask a question you'll get an answer within a day or two. We seem to have some pretty dedicated answer-ers!

Yeah, our mentors are active--it's the students that are lazy [smile]. I've been treading slowly through chapter 2. The problem with this book--if you can call it a problem, that is--is that it's almost impossible to read when you're not in front of a computer. The frequency of exercises is staggering!

Quote: Original post by SamLowry
We should put a message somewhere that newcomers are always welcome as this seems to be the most frequently asked question on this board.

I edited the Forum FAQ, and modified the Start Here thread as well.

Quote: Original post by Muhammad Haggag
Quote: Original post by Ezbez

Yeah, our mentors are active--it's the students that are lazy [smile]. I've been treading slowly through chapter 2. The problem with this book--if you can call it a problem, that is--is that it's almost impossible to read when you're not in front of a computer. The frequency of exercises is staggering!

Agreed. And unfortunately for me, I find reading from a computer not as easy as reading from a book. There's too many darn distractions on a computer! I'm sure others feel the same way as me. OTOH, the exercises really are fantastic. They fit darn near perfectly with the ability of the student when they reach them.

I really should get back to work on this, but C++ is addicting. I can quit anytime I want! Really!
I began working through SICP last week and now I'm very happy to have found this discussion group! I only have about an hour a day for this, so the progress isn't very fast - especially considering that I solve all exercises in Common Lisp. My progress is copiously documented here:

http://eli.thegreenplace.net/category/programming/lisp/sicp/

I'll be sure to check this forum from time to time for clarifications.
Eli Benderskyhttp://www.geocities.com/spur4444/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement