🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

anybody using sound synthesis?

Started by
1 comment, last by twifkak 23 years, 2 months ago
I was just wondering if any game developers were synthesizing their sound effects or music instruments instead of playing pre-recorded samples. I''ve always thought of it as a neat idea for allowing variety and dynamic sounds into the game, but have never seen it in action.
They made me do this:
Advertisement
nope, haven''t done that but.....
would there be any real gain since you can work with samples and .mod format or something, and the synthesied sounds would be a software implementation of the midi synth of your soundcard and I think directX supports midi synth emulation...
//~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I'm looking for work
It wouldn''t have to be an implementation of your midi synth. A somewhat more advanced software synth (based on, say, subtractive synthesis, though some others would work as well)could easily be made to react to ingame triggers w/ changes in tone color, etc. by manipulating the paramaters of the synth itself, while playing a preset pattern.

It would take some ingenuity, but it would be one way to have a dynamic soundtrack w.out being too random. There are some software synths w/ low processer overhead, and a few of those, or one very multi-purposed one running multiple patterns/channels, could provide a decent soundtrack for certain kinds of music. Combine that w. more traditional MOD/MIDI/WAV solutions and you''d have a monster!

Erm... my .02, that is. . .

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement