🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Using 3DSMAX to design landscape tiles?

Started by
2 comments, last by malachii 23 years, 2 months ago
I have a problem. I have world data (height elevation data) I want in my game. I''ve created a huge mesh and brought it into 3DSMAX applied textures, etc, and it looks wonderful. I need a way to "break" this landscape up into tiles (for example 10x10 - x and z, height is whatever). How can I do this? I could instead write a program to split the landscape up in advance, but then how would I make the seams go away on the textures (I would have to load them all into the same scene and group them somehow). Advice? Thanks, Mal.
Advertisement
or you can seperate the tiles manually in whatever incriment you want. personlly, i like the sprite tile editor. if you are willing to work with 50x50 tiles, it will split up and image quite well and place a 1 pixel border between all the tiles. however, if you want to make them smaller, im not sure, you might be stuck. use the grid option in your paint program and set it to whatever size you are looking for, then copy the tiles and place a 1 pixel border between them. this is tedious, i know, but its sure fire and sometimes, manual is the best way to go.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts Millennium ED
Redwyrm Online

I just realized that you said z... ok, well, then you are either making typo''s or just insane although i have been waiting for someone willing to program z variables in 2d. lol.

I am not text, I am not organized pixels, I am not killed by turning off your monitor, I am not isolated by turning off your computer. I just am.

Conshape Electronic Arts Millennium ED
Redwyrm Online

Well actually I was talking about 3D tiles - where the X and X aces are say 10 by 10 3D units, and the Y is the height of the landscape and thus variable...

I''m not crazy.... YET!!! MUAHAHAHAHA

Malachii.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement