🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

3D Clipping question

Started by
-1 comments, last by Lutrosis 24 years, 6 months ago
Ok guys, quick question. I'm writing my first 3d engine, real simple stuff. Flat shaded, nothing but triangles. Anyway, before making my poly list to send to the renderer, I have a simple 3d clipping filter. It excludes all polys outside the near and far clipping frustums, and the viewing planes. The problem is, I need to remove any poly that has even one vertice behind the near clipping frustum, or the projection will get all screwed up. How would I implement proper projection if a poly is partway past the clipping frustum, for example if there are two tris making a rectangular floor and the camera is in the middle? I've never actually seen anyone address this problem. For further clarification, here's a little diagram hope you're not using proportional fonts)

|
|
Camera |---->
|
| _____|_____ <- tri
|

There's gotta be a way to properly transform the tri, even though one of the vertices is behind the near frustum. Anyone have any suggestions?

-Lutrosis#define WHOOPS 0class DogClass {public: CDog() { printf("Ruff!"); } Run() { printf("Run!"); } Crash() { printf("%d",100/WOOPS); }};DogClass CDog;CDog.Run();CDog.Crash();

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement