🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Creating 3D Levels

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
Level editors that are freely available tend to use their own file format, more specifically, they usually come with a pre-written engine. If I'm wrong here, someone correct me.
The best solution is probably to write your own editor, that way you get what you want, and you also get experiance writing a tool.
Even if it isn't the greatest ed ever written, you can see where you've gone right/wrong and improve upon it for next time.

Take it easy,

-Mezz

Advertisement
The best thing to do, besides writting your own editor is to use someone elses, like WorldCraft. www.flipcode.com has an page talking about using that editor for your own project.

-Nathan Strandberg

"Always forgive your enemies, nothing annoys them more.."
I've been working on my DX 3D engine.
But i'm stuck on creating my 3D worlds, i need an application to design my 3D levels.
I considered writing my own editor, but it looks like a massive task, to create something which is any good.

So i need to find an application which can create some decent levels with textures etc, and then save it to a file format i can read in with my game(BSP etc is too high tech for me just yet, just keeping it simple, with say, vertice/indices lists and textures)

Does anyone have any recommendations, or ideas?

how do you do collision for 3d levels?
Look into d3d retained mode when making an editor for the first time. You''ll find mesh functions, picking functions, level of detail functions and others that help out. I found out that using D3DX basic object primitive functions like box, cylinder, etc. limit you in what you can do with them. Think of creating a face made out of mesh then do collision detection between mesh and object and remove polys from mesh or split intersected triangles into smaller triangles. Also check out Genesis3D editor source code for Constructive Solid Geometry and find out how WildTangent did it, or check out CrystalSpace code or how about source to Quake editors?.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement