🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

White noise.

Started by
4 comments, last by Big_Bad_Bill 23 years, 1 month ago
I''m developing a flash movie and I want to know where I can get a white noise *.wav or *.mp3. Bill
Advertisement
White noise... I think that''s static, right? You could just get a radio and record a static pattern, or get someone with a microphone to do it.
White noise contains a uniformly distributed spectrum. Hence, all partial components are present in its spectrum.

The easiest way to generate white noise is a simple rand(). The .wav format is simply so writing a program to generate a second or so of white noise is trivial.

Programs like GoldWave, SoundForge et al all contain noise generators, so maybe you could download the demo of one of those.
CoolEdit is good for making white noise.

Jess,
I checked up on this by writing a crappy program in Turbo Pascal to play random frequencies through the pc speaker... and it is indeed the sound of static. I''m curious though, what would you need this sound for?
White noise has many a use. It is often a fundamental component of synth drums; mixing a small amount of noise with a simple pitch-varying sin oscillator can be used to be produce a variety of drum sounds. Because all frequencies are present and at a constant amplitude* you can use it to ''tune'' a studio, using EQ to compensate for bass absorption ,for example. You can use a recirculating wavetable with feedback and an averaging function to synthesise plucked strings, as in the Karplus Strong algorithm. Its rich spectra also means it is perfect as a source for sbutractive synthesis. Finally, noise functions are often used as building blocks for synthesis of natural sounds, such as wind, or the sea.

* White noise produced digitally by a random number generator is a close approximation, but however not perfect white noise. A frequency bias inherent to the number generation causes a minor deviation from a uniform spectrum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement