🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Alpha Blending

Started by
4 comments, last by Slayer-X 24 years, 7 months ago
First, let me say that I'm not sure wether what I'm about to write is absolutely correct, but I'm sure that if it isn't someone will correct me
Alpha blending can be called in other words transparency; it basically means assigning a value to a pixel (or full image, i think) that defines how much of the color (supposedly) behind him will be mixed with that pixel value well you draw the image in a background this value, or in other words the place were you store it is called the alpha channel (all right, was that right, wrong, or close but no bonus?)
Advertisement
Pretty much on. Alpha blending is generally translucent, of semi-transparent graphics.

It is simply the use of both the pixel color and some data that defines the ratio of blending between the source and destination pixels. Typically, this comes from an "alpha" channel that is encoded with the image (hence the name alpha blending)

Many times, your graphics will have alpha blended pixels on their borders to enhance the quality of the image, as the edges will not look as pixelated.

Two words: very pretty Don't object with me on this one!

- Splat

Lol. I thought it was something completely different. Thanx for telling me.
VERY PRETTY, no objection. I've gotten so used to edge blending that aliased gfx makes my stomach turn !!

/Niels

<b>/NJ</b>
I've seen some posts concerning alpha blending, but I don't know exactly what it is. Can someone please explain what it is? This probably sounds like a stupid question.
Same here. I take AOE2, for example. I can't play it at the lower resolution because the jaggies come and rip my heart out! But at 1280x1024, it looks pretty.

- Splat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement