🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

I need general help with Direct X 7.0

Started by
3 comments, last by Dbdj 24 years, 7 months ago
You said that you added the DX7 directories to your include directories...

Did you make sure they're at the top? In other words, if they aren't at the top of the list, it will include an old "ddraw.h", which won't define the DX7 stuff.

Send me email if you need more details...

------------------

-Kentamanos

-Kentamanos
Advertisement
First off, include the files right!

#include "ddraw.h"
#include "d3drm.h"

Next, make sure the DirectX include directory has been added to the include directory path list in the project settings. Make sure it appears before, or takes precedence over, the default MSVC++ include directory, or you'll include the wrong version of the headers.

[This message has been edited by CodeDemon (edited November 23, 1999).]

You will have to include the libs into your program by "Program | Add to Program | Add Files". That will solve the problem.
First of all, let me say I'm an Italian boy, so excuse me if my English is like a shit!!!!!!
Well,I've got Direct X 7.0 SDK, I installed it, and I set my compiler up (VISUAL C++ 6.0) with the right directories.
I include in my projects the files:
ddraw.h
d3drm.h
and also the libraries (ddraw.lib and d3drm.lib from the menu "Project/Settings..." Etc.
Then I start writing my program.
For example I write something like this:

#ifndef WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#endif
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Include files
//-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
#include
#include

LPDIRECTDRAW7 pDD;

When I try to compile, the compiler stop itself with these 3 errors:
1.error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'pDD'
2.error C2501: 'LPDIRECTDRAW7' : missing storage-class or type specifiers
3.fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found
Error executing cl.exe.

This happen also trying to compile the samples source. Please I need a real help.
Can anybody help me?
I looked in the samples and I see that the object declaration is like I written.
I'm going crazy.
Thank you!

First off, those errors indicate that the DX7 header files have not been included successfully. You probably need to change / add the directory that you installed the header files to into the top of the Include search path in Tools/Options.

I would also NOT recommend including .lib files by adding them to your project as files. Instead, go to Project/Settings/Link and add them to the end of the library include list. You also may need to include dxguid.lib, as that is a common mistake that people make.

Also, #include "ddraw.h" is not the preferred way either. You want to use what Dbdj had originally but was cut out by the message board (the message board sees < and > as HTML tag markers and takes them out)

code:
#include < ddraw.h >

- Splat

[This message has been edited by Splat (edited November 23, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Splat (edited November 23, 1999).]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement