🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus!!!

Started by
10 comments, last by Xeon_Boy 22 years, 11 months ago
Has you read of this book called "Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus" by Andre Lamothe? I haven''t brought the book yet, and would like to ask u a question regarding the content on the CD-ROM, if u''ve it. My question is : Are there free 3D modelers and paint programs on the CD-ROM? Thanks!!!!! :-D Since it''''s cool to have our own signatures in every posts in GameDev.net, allow me to join in the fun. More is merrier, right? Now let''''s see....what shall my signature be? Ah-ha! Got it!!!!! "Now pal...I wouldn''''t do dat'''' if I were you, or this young lady might get hurt!" Heh-heh-heh! Cool eh? Now, dat''''s Cowboy''''s speech! Hee-haw!!!!! :-D
"The feeling of mastering and understanding hard stuff in Game Programming is just like the feeling u get when u perform an Air-Walk in the basketball court, soaring.....and everyone's watching in awe......."
Advertisement
The 3D modelers and paint programs you speak of are demos. Truespace 3 is the only full version of software on the disc. The book also comes with some cool games and the DX6 SDK.

Hey Shotokan pal! :-D What''s TrueSpace 3? I mean, what kinda program is it? Thanks!!!!!!!

Also.....I''ve 1.5 years of C++ and MFC programing, and have some basic knowledge of COM and ATL. Do u think I''ll be able to understand the book? Thanks!!!!! :-D

Since it''''s cool to have our own signatures in every posts in GameDev.net, allow me to join in the fun. More is merrier, right? Now let''''s see....what shall my signature be? Ah-ha! Got it!!!!!
"Now pal...I wouldn''''t do dat'''' if I were you, or this young lady might get hurt!"

Heh-heh-heh! Cool eh? Now, dat''''s Cowboy''''s speech! Hee-haw!!!!! :-D
"The feeling of mastering and understanding hard stuff in Game Programming is just like the feeling u get when u perform an Air-Walk in the basketball court, soaring.....and everyone's watching in awe......."
Wait a minute, the demos are Paint Shop Pro 5 and some other stuff...I dont think any 3D modelers are included, I broke my disc. What I was thinking of in my first post was this magazine i got that came with Maya, Truespace, and like 5 other 3D programs. Sorry bout that.
Aha! Its Truespace, Winzip, Cool Edit, Acrobat, and MS Wordview, oh yeah, and the aforementioned Paint Shop Pro. In addition to this stuff, there is source code, sounds, artwork, hell, a whole bunch of free stuff. Well, the book does cost 50 bucks...so I wouldnt say, free...
Thanks a lot, Shotokan! That means to say that it''s "Truespace, Winzip, Cool Edit, Acrobat, and MS Wordview, and Paint Shop Pro......" are all demos, except for the free stuff? How disappointing! :-(

Since it''''s cool to have our own signatures in every posts in GameDev.net, allow me to join in the fun. More is merrier, right? Now let''''s see....what shall my signature be? Ah-ha! Got it!!!!!
"Now pal...I wouldn''''t do dat'''' if I were you, or this young lady might get hurt!"

I found Truespace quite interesting to use. I believe it was Truespace 4 not 3... but maybe I''m wrong. The CD does contain free textures, sounds, a slew of articles and even more documentation that just wouldn''t fit in a book. For the content in that book, I would recommend it.

Xeon_Boy: You should have no trouble understanding the programming in this book with the background you suggest.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.

Thanks!!!!!! :-D So, IS TrueSpace 4 FREE on the CD? Or is it just another demo? Thanks again!!!!!

And as for my background......heh heh heh! I''ve confidence that I can understand COM stuff and maybe how to use DirectX functions, but the part that scares me most is the trigonometrical calculations and graphic math part. I''ve to work hard on that, I guess. :-D

As far as I recall TrueSpace 4 is a demo too

BTW: I also got a CD with the introductory version of MS Visual C++
That''s ok, pal. I decided to get the Blender manual and learn it even if it takes me 1 year.(that''s impossible, though) :-D

And one thing I realised is that the folks here are more friendlier than those in other forums, like Codeguru.com, pal! I wonder if u share the same feeling too! Maybe it''s cos'' they''re all game programmers, I guess. :-D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement