🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie conference :)

Started by
5 comments, last by Baine 22 years, 12 months ago
NOTE: I posted this same message in the wanted section as well. Howdy.. I don''t know how many people are in the same boat as me.. or whether or not this is the proper forum for this message, but anywho.. let''s get to the point. I''m not the best programmer around by the furthest stretch of the imagination.. but i''m also not that old yet. I''m learning on my own through online tutorials, school, and books that I can pick up at the local Chapters outlet. A lot of these forum threads are a bit to advanced for me to grasp easily yet, and there''s a lot of info flickin'' around that i''m not ready to handle yet. God bless the web. Anyway, the know-how etc will come with time, but there is one problem that i''m looking to change actually. Being stuck out here in Newfoundland Canada kinda means that there aren''t too many wannabe game programmers, like myself, kicking around locally that I can talk to or discuss ideas with. I''m just looking for people like myself to chat with etc. Also, it''d be cool to start working with people at or around my own level of knowledge on a game. I''m not quite ready to start making one yet, but i''m getting closer by the day. Hmm.. I''m reading back what i just wrote.... if that isn''t the most artsy-fartsy load of..sigh.. it almost comes close to a personals ad hehe.. well anywho. If you''re reading this and finding yourself relating to me in any way, perhaps you should email me and see if we can''t help each other out. e.hardy@nf.sympatico.ca groovy ern.
groovy,ern
Advertisement
Ok, my advice will come in a list:

- Usually when people want help, its because they''re too lazy to learn for themselves
- All programmers should work alone for at least a year or two
- Read, read, read, and read
- Practice, practice, practice, and practice

------------------------------
Trent (ShiningKnight)
E-mail me
OpenGL Game Programming Tutorials
Hello Baine,

The process of learning all I needed to make a game (not a playable one but a fully complete and kickass game), at least in my own personal case, is slow and needs a LOT of patience.
I started thinking in game development seriously just 5 or 6 months ago, after 5 or 6 years of learning (at home and at work) Basic, Pascal, C, C++, Visual Basic and Visual C++ and Java (in this order) reading a LOT of books and quite a LOT of tutorials.
I feel after all this years I''m more able to code a game focusing more on the structure and design of the game than worring about the languaje I''m using or where to get the info I need to acomplish the goals (I have found this site is a great place to search for it and there are a lot of VERY cool people to help when you ask seriously).

I also realized about something I didn''t know before: I can''t make a super-amazing-allIeverwanted-game by my own, my art sucks, I''m not always good composing music, and my real experience is on programming not in SoundFX .

At some point it looks like something imposible to do, but I don''t belive in impossibles

I hope I can make, at least, a game I can feel proud of because it brings fun to the people who play with it. Maybe then I could start thinking about making some money with this stuff

I hope you can too.

My english isn''t good but I guess someone will understand what I''m tring to say.

Good Luck.

Search and you''ll find, ask and you''ll receive.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
You''re right shiningknight, a beginner should work alone for a while. But should ask for help when really needed. BTW some guidance from experienced programmers won''t hurt
Thanks for the advice, but I think I''ve learned my lesson.. no more posts for ernie after 4am. Not sure how my post was interpreted, but after readin'' it myself this afternoon i really don''t know what it was. Anyway, just to clarify, i wasn''t looking for someone to teach me how to program or anything even close to that And I have been programming for somewhere along the lines of 3-4 years.. (I know that isn''t a great amount, but i think it gets me past beginner status) I''m starting to get the itch to work with somebody else on a project that interests me, and not coding out a faster phonebook searcher. (Though i''m fully aware that learning algorithms such as the phonebook one is extremely important and valuable). I''m still reading and practicing and will continue to work on my own projects and ideas. I think what i meant to say last night is that i''m looking for somebody (reason for the post in the wanted forum) who isn''t too advanced for me to keep pace with (reason for posting in the newbie forum, as I really don''t know much about the 3D API''s) to work on a (albeit amazingly simple) 2D game of sorts. Or, failing that, feedback from the community itself would be beneficial to me, as there aren''t many wannabe game programmers where i live. Mostly phonebook people. So anywho.. sorry about the confusion and I promise to drink more coffee before i post next time later.

groovy
ern.
groovy,ern
I''d say you won''t have too much problem finding feedback at least...some of the "old fogeys" (if there are any around) might flame you about how back in the day, they had to walk 5 miles uphill in the snow both ways to get feedback (I hope the humor translates to the forum), but generally speaking, if you post a request for feedback and put a .zip of your file on a website somewhere, you''ll get feedback.
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza
quote: Original post by draqza
...some of the "old fogeys" (if there are any around) might flame you about how back in the day, they had to walk 5 miles uphill in the snow both ways to get feedback

Yeah, but you forgot about the fact that when we got home we where also two inches shorter every day too...

Anyway, don''t forget about this either.

YAP-YFIO
-deadlinegrunt

~deadlinegrunt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement