🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What do you think is the Best?

Started by
0 comments, last by GDNB 22 years, 11 months ago
Sup, I wanted to start this disscussion to help me figure out which resolution & color depth I should use based on the experience of the programmers at this site..you can put which one you like,why,and maybe some advatages and disadvantages of using that mode..PEACE!
"For many are called,But few are chosen"...
Advertisement
I would suggest either 800*600 or 1024*768 both with 32bit colour depth.

In my opinion, anything lower resolution wise can look dated and doesn''t give you much space to play with. Anything greater isn''t really needed and just sucks up power.

16 bit colour depth can look real ugly on some cards. I generally run into compatibility problems with 24 bit and try to avoid it where possible. 32 bit looks best, although you need a fairly decent card to avoid performance issues. Some cards Just don''t run fast in it period.

In my opinion I consider the following mode ranges pretty much the norm for playing games in:

640*480*16
640*480*32
800*600*16
800*600*32
1024*768*16
1024*768*32

So some res switcher between these modes would be ideal.

But if it came to the crunch, at this moment in modern day gaming, I would choose 800*600*32 for compatibility with as many graphics cards and machine specs as possible.

Personally I use 1024*768*32 for everything

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement