🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Devry & Westwood Game Programming Degrees

Started by
28 comments, last by smc 14 years, 5 months ago
Quote: Original post by Runicode
Does anyone see anything lacking in the coursework that I would need to supplement?
I can see a few areas.

Technical writing, although it might be covered in "college writing".
A broad humanities/general education base.
I recommend Stats and discrete mathematics. I've heard lots of people complain about not knowing enough math, but never heard complaints about knowing too much.

Operating systems, both internals and theory
Compiler theory, compiler design
Computer architecture
Computer theory / computational theory
Computer security / writing secure code / security assurance
Formal languages
Signal and image processing

But again, if you are concerned about covering the same matarials as a CS degree, why not just go for a CS degree?
Advertisement
Does anyone see anything lacking in the coursework that I would need to supplement?

Kinda weak on the math but then again this is usually the case with online colleges I have noticed. Well they had to cut some stuff I guess to fit all the game specific courses it looks like.
The additional Calculus and Differential Equations is not the biggest omission but Discrete Math should definitely be in there somewhere.
It covers a lot of stuff that you'll need later on and will make Linear Algebra a lot easier if you take Discrete first.
Say if you were planning on getting a MS this list gives you a good idea of the types of things you'll be expected to already know or have learned getting a CS degree and you won't be clueless when it comes to grammars in a CS sense:
Background. People enter the MSCS program with a wide variety of background experience. Some people did CS undergrads, and others have never done any programming. But most every MSCS class will assume that you've taken these classes, or their equivalents elsewhere:
Mathematical Foundations of Computing. CS103 will give students the mathematical foundations necessary for computer science. Topics include proof techniques and logic; induction; sets, functions, and relations; an introduction to formal languages; DFA's, NFA's, and Regular Expressions; Context-Free Grammars, Turing Machines, and NP-Completeness.

[Edited by - daviangel on January 12, 2010 3:32:07 PM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Yeah I'm not quite sure why they didn't include Discrete Math. I wonder if they even offer the course... if they did I could take it outside of the degree. I looked around for an online CS degree... but I have yet to find one. I'm not particularly fond of a fully online degree, but unfortunately it would be my only option. The universities nearby do not offer flexibile enough ground courses. Thank you for the link, good info to know!
Quote:
I don't see anything missing that I would normally get out of a CIS or many CS programs.

This presumes that you get the same education from two different courses with the same name. This is naive to say the least. And looking at the program, you're missing a lot of things you'd get from a good CS program.

Quote:
It looks to cover everything from C# and C/C++ to databases, Assembly, AI, Scripting, WIN32 GUI, Graphics Programming, etc...

All of which (except AI) are things that shouldn't be covered in a Computer Science program. And I suspect 'AI for games' isn't exactly going to involve nice formal grounding in AI theory.

Quote:
with 7 courses in Mathematics and Physics.

Algebra and Trig are not college mathematics. That you need to take them at all for your degree is an embarrassment. I'd also be surprised if either of the physics courses involve calculus, which is next to worthless.
Yah, even my physics class at my high school is grounded in calc (I took calc BC already and am taking a calc class at OSU)

by the wayyy, have you ever considered simply looking up the information you want online? I do that for pretty much everything now; I'm not talking about the junk thats the absolute basics written by people who know hardly more than that, I mean the university journals. Almost everything you could want can be found at a much higher level if you search google using the proper industry/academic terms.

For instance, searching "probabilistic roadmap path planning for multi robot systems" yields many great articles on path finding that, thankfully, have moved beyond the simplistic A*=solves everything paradigm.
Quote: This presumes that you get the same education from two different courses with the same name. This is naive to say the least. And looking at the program, you're missing a lot of things you'd get from a good CS program.

Quote: Algebra and Trig are not college mathematics. That you need to take them at all for your degree is an embarrassment. I'd also be surprised if either of the physics courses involve calculus, which is next to worthless.

Obviously two courses with the same name may not cover the EXACT same topics... it is an assumption not being naive. It's all dependant on the University and Professor among other things. As far as the mathematics, I don't see how it is embarassing to take Algebra and Trig in college and you sound arrogant stating that it is! Over a decade has passed since I graduated high school and trig was not a requirement at the time nor does every high school student take Trig or Calculus. Regardless I'm going to need a refresher.

So my question is what courses are missing that would be covered in a CS program? I'm trying to determine the benefit of a CS over CIS or Game Programming degree and I have yet to see it. Everything that is explained to me is a CS graduate walks out the door with all theory and no actual skill set... unless it is leading into a Masters?

Quote: by the wayyy, have you ever considered simply looking up the information you want online? I do that for pretty much everything now; I'm not talking about the junk thats the absolute basics written by people who know hardly more than that, I mean the university journals. Almost everything you could want can be found at a much higher level if you search google using the proper industry/academic terms.

For instance, searching "probabilistic roadmap path planning for multi robot systems" yields many great articles on path finding that, thankfully, have moved beyond the simplistic A*=solves everything paradigm.

Yes, I typically find what I'm looking for with ease, but that is no suplement for a full education. I don't recall the entire course description but I believe the Physics class involved calculus.
As far as the mathematics, I don't see how it is embarassing to take Algebra and Trig in college and you sound arrogant stating that it is!

Sure, but let's be practical here. Algebra is based around the concept of abstraction based off of variables. The practice of programming is based around the concept of abstraction off of variables. (At least when I was in school) Algebra was taught at 7-9th grade. If you (not you, anyone really) cannot grasp that fundamental concept until ~13th grade maybe programming isn't for you. That the university assumes that the majority of their students need the course is not a good sign.

Quote:
So my question is what courses are missing that would be covered in a CS program? I'm trying to determine the benefit of a CS over CIS or Game Programming degree and I have yet to see it. Everything that is explained to me is a CS graduate walks out the door with all theory and no actual skill set...

University is not job training. A proper CS degree will get you a good math, science, communication and CS foundation. Westwood will (by all appearances) not provide that. You've listed all these technologies you've used. Did you need help learning C# or SQL? No. You'll need help learning hard stuff like algorithmic complexity and how to use that to make your programs way better. Stuff that is always going to be applicable, no matter what technology you're going to use. Technologies change. Computer science doesn't. Do astronomers go to college to learn how to use a telescope?
Now I understand what you're saying. So the next challenge is finding an online Bachelors in Computer Science... I looked around a bit, but the only things that are popping up look more like Devry or University of Pheonix... Can anyone point me in the right direction to a descent university that offers online learning? I looked at Penn State and they have an online program, but the Bachelors looks VERY lacking.
Quote: Original post by Telastyn
Algebra and Trig are not college mathematics. That you need to take them at all for your degree is an embarrassment. I'd also be surprised if either of the physics courses involve calculus, which is next to worthless.

Quote: Original post by Telastyn
Sure, but let's be practical here. Algebra is based around the concept of abstraction based off of variables. The practice of programming is based around the concept of abstraction off of variables. (At least when I was in school) Algebra was taught at 7-9th grade. If you (not you, anyone really) cannot grasp that fundamental concept until ~13th grade maybe programming isn't for you. That the university assumes that the majority of their students need the course is not a good sign.

I am not sure what classes he was listing for, but I am a student at Westwood and can tell you I am in Calculus I and have II and III left after this, so for you to state I bet the physics classes don't include grounded calculus sound like a misinformed speculation. I started out taking low level math because I too needed a refresher since when I started my college courses 2 years ago, I had been out of school for 10 years. I'm only 26 now and is a long story ill stay away from, since the scope of this conversation has nothing to do with that. When you join a college you usually have to take prereq's when you take your assessment test they determine where you need to start in math and writing, if you need to start at pre-algebra, how is that the schools fault, and doesn't mean that you shouldn't take computer programming because you don't remember how to do algebra, that in no way means you don't understand the concepts.
My only real advice here aside from the schools is make sure what you really want to do in life and be realistic, I went to school for game software development, I moved to an area rich with game programming jobs, and will I be doing this, sadly no! Personal reasons are going to move me somewhere, where there isn't a game company within 600+ miles away and I will not commute back and forth, I'm married and have responsibilities, etc... Think about what you are going to do with that degree, and now that I will be getting a job in an area that doesn't need specialization in game development. Luckily I am taking well rounded courses for management, and the like, but I am sure ill still have to start and work my way up after I learn the company I get a job with.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement