🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Templating Images for Games

Started by
0 comments, last by Amythius 22 years, 11 months ago
Hi, I''m a coder(wish to be..) But I need to know how to "template" images for my game. I don''t know how its done, I think I do, but need to know how. Is it by creating each image a certain size, then place a pixel between each image.. and when make the program, extract them mxn amount of pixels? Well, someone please explain or point me to a tutorial anywhere. Help, I''''m a newbie |:^)
"It's easy to make things hard, but it's hard to make things easy."
Advertisement
There are different ways to do this.
The way you describe it is a good first attempt, although you will only be able to use fixed size sprites. That''s OK for tile based games, but remember that you might want to use something a bit more complicated later.

The way to do this is to have either, your own file format, it would have a header that would describe all the positions of the sprites in the overall picture (that means you could have sprites with varying sizes), or to have a BIG picture file, with an accompanying description file with the same role than the header mentioned above.
For a good example, check the SFF file format used in the MUGEN engine. If you don''t understand, well ... maybe ask one of the *programming* forum, you know (though I *could* explain, if you ask)
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement