🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

DirectX is the start of the game programming?

Started by
1 comment, last by mcnation 22 years, 10 months ago
Hi. I want ask you guys about the start of game programming... I know I have to understand and learn c,c++ and Windows API to prepare for making games at first. And I have to know how to use vc++, don''t I? but I don''t understand what is the start of game programming. Is it DX? Does DX has all methods for game programming? I want to know that. Please reply this. Thanks.
Hi~ I''m a beginner.
Advertisement
MSVC is just an IDE, you don''t need to understand it any more than you do any other IDE. DirectX is a tool, like all API''s and libraries. You begin "game programming" when you start working on a game (or something related to one, you know what I meant ).

quote: mcnation
Does DX has all methods for game programming?

Umm, if I understand what you''re asking: no, it does not. DirectX helps you out with graphics, sound, input, and other such things, but it in no way does everything you''ll need to write a game. You''ll still have to handle file loading, scripting, physics, various data structures, et cetera.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
It is possible to make games with Windows API but it is slower. If you want to make real videogames, you should use DirectX. THat is the language used to write programs such as Unreal Tournament. If you are making something for a mac, however, you may need to use OpenGl, because that is compatable with both macs and pc. However, it isnt supposed to be quite as good as DirectX on PC.

You dont actually need to know Visual Studio. That is just a compiler. However, it probably is the best compiler out there for directx programming. You could use borland or a lesser known compiler, however, if you need to
Feel free to email me at NYYanks432@hotmail.com if you have any questions

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement