Advertisement

Search spaces in games?

Started by April 27, 2010 07:27 AM
3 comments, last by IADaveMark 14 years, 4 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem finding information about games and which search space they use. I want to know about games that use navmeshes/waypoints/grids in their pathfinding algorithms. Could anyone help me?
Pathfinding is a search space I guess, as you pointed out. The other big one is on the behavioral level, usually known as planning. See Jeff Orkin's work on F.E.A.R., or what the Guerrilla Games team did on Killzone 2. There's loads of information online about both of them, including articles on AiGameDev.com (right now there's an article about HTN planning on the front page).

Join us in Vienna for the nucl.ai Conference 2015, on July 20-22... Don't miss it!

Advertisement
Quote: Original post by Kweiko
Hello everyone, I'm having a problem finding information about games and which search space they use. I want to know about games that use navmeshes/waypoints/grids in their pathfinding algorithms. Could anyone help me?

A search for A* in games will net you more material than you could ever read simply because most games that have locomotion of any sort use A*. The other use for search space algos is planners as Alex said.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Found Orkin's work, thanks. Although interesting, I think it will make things too complicated for me to understand right now, because I want information on plain pathfinding. (or maybe I'm missing something here?)

I've been googling a lot on A* in games, but haven't found much game specific information. But while searching for waypoint+pathfinding+games I found the youtube videos about waypoint based pathfiding and there where a couple of examples on games that uses WP in pathfinding so I guess I'll continue from there. Thanks for the help!
I find it bizarre that you can't find stuff about A* in games. Just searching this forum alone will provide you quite a bit of material.

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement