🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The C++ Programming Language: Third Edition!

Started by
4 comments, last by Guybrush Threepwood 22 years, 10 months ago
I borrowed my dads book that taught him C++ called C++ Programming Language: Third Edition (just to see if it was useful). Did ANYONE read this? Wow, its confusing or am I just not getting it? I''ve only read like 6-9 pages and its already very complicated! I saw the sample code for writing Hello, Neww WORLD but the code has all this stuff like iostream. And the defintiions are confusing too. Is this a good begginner book? Remember that I also ordered SAMS Teach Yourself C++ in 24 Hours.
Yeah, yeah, i know. Its a three headed monkey..
Advertisement
The Sams book is alot easier to learn. I have Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days, which is just a more expanded version of 24 hours. It goes through clearly for the beginning programmer.
Expect it to be confusing.I have been learning C++ for a month and am not surprised of it being hard to learn.
laterz-mad_hatter

Edited by - mad_hatter on August 16, 2001 4:57:12 PM
Yes, C++ is hard to learn, but well worth the effort.
Books are OK to learn from, but mostly just for a
reference. You learn best by doing. Go through the
example programs. Learn from there.
Stick to it, eventually a light will go on
and all will become clear.

Programming is just a bunch of variables
( place holders for stuff like numbers )

ex.
int var1 = 5;
int var2 = 5;
int var3;

And functions that do stuff.
ex.

void add_variables()
{
var3 = var1 + var2; // var3 = 5 + 5 = 10;
}

The thingy and other thingys like that.
Just a group of functions that the program needs to work.
Like cout or cin etc.

Once you understand the basic language structure,
eveything else falls into place.
Adulthood is the vehicle for making you childhood dreams come true.
Stroustrup''s "The C++ Programming Language" isn''t suposed to be for bigginners.
It''s like a C++ for C programers kinda book...
But if you know c and any other OO language(java for me), this is the right book.

But if you really want to get into the OO dimention, i recommned Bruce Eckel''s
And then, you can get any C++ reference book later just to have a more effective aproach to
the practice...

Manfrio
Not sure I agree with the previous poster that recommends "Thinking in C++". While this is a great book, it is mainly targeted at people that already know C. My suggestion for a beginner would be Deitel & Deitel "C++: How to Program" instead. Its a bit expensive, but it covers most of what you need to know in a clear writing style, and should be a far easier read than TCPL(which I haven''t read, unfortunately).
Of course...it doesn''t _hurt_ to read the Eckel book in parallell
--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement