🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

matrices

Started by
0 comments, last by kaiel090x 22 years, 10 months ago
(I never have been a A math student)I am having troube understanding, what the numbers in matrices respresent. Are they variblaes or just numbers, and how would I call those numbers, why, and when? They are pretty confusing mainly because I dont know what the numbers are there for. I am doing matrices mainly for OpenGL. "He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."~Friedrich Nietzsche
"He who fights monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you."~Friedrich Nietzsche
Advertisement
OpenGL will construct most matrices for you so you don''t need to know what goes where to use it. Rather you have to understand translation, rotation, scaling and projection. The main thing to remember is that functions such as glRotate, glScale and glTranslate modify the current matrix which makes everything cummulative until you call glLoadIdentity. You have plenty to learn without bogging yourself down at the start trying to learn every little detail about how each function does what it does. First learn how to use the functions that are available then worry about how they do what they do.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement