🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need help!

Started by
9 comments, last by Micha 24 years, 6 months ago
Hello, can anyone recommend me good tutorials or books to start win32 programming with c++ ? Thank you
Advertisement
Programming the Window 95 API from Charles Petzold

very good book!!!!!!!

Dance with me......

http://members.xoom.com/CJdeVos/index.htm

Thank you,

what should i use to program good programs? mfc or pure win32 code? and what should i use to program games? is the book programming the windows 95 api from charles petzold good for a beginner?

Thank you
I use win32 for my games, and i think that is the best.
I use Introduction to Windows 98 Programming by William H. Murray and Chris H. Pappas. It''s a great book, costs a little less, and has good content.
Please try Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up by Herbert Schildt. It is the best in my humble opinion =)

Best regards,
Sherman
http://hitw.spedia.net
(website down temporarily)
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com
Hello,

why do all recommend win98 programming books? i use win95 and want only learn how to program win32 programs without the mfc. win98 and win95 programs are nearly the same, i think. Thanks
I wouldn''t call win32 a pure language.
William Reiach - Human Extrodinaire

Marlene and Me

A few things:

Books:
To learn windows programming - Windows 98 Programming From the Ground Up, Herbert Shildt, OSBORNE. One of the BEST, the book is GREAT for learning, written well (by a great author) and explains the basics of the windows architecture, and differences between Win 95/98.
Additional Refference - Win32 Programming, Rector and Newcomer, ADDISON WESLEY. VERY thourough, good binding, great resource.

Win 98/95 - Windows 98 and Windows 95 use the EXACT same Win32 base API, so any Windows 98 reference to the API will work on Windows 95 (not counting undocumented behavior abuse). The main difference is the addition of the internet explorer controls to the Windows 98 core OS, and the extra functions to use them. I recommend Win98 books because in general they use MODERN style, and are ACCURATE to the ACTUAL win32 API, where 2 of my Windows 95 books contain ERRORS, because they were written before windows 95 was released. Therefore they haven''t TESTED their code, and some of the standard naming of variables (in the Platform SDK and Visual C++ 6) is different than the ones they use.

Grommit - in THIS context Win32 is THE pure language, in the sense that coding for it is coding ''to the metal'' without ANY wasted overhead. Just as coding in ASM equates to just about PURE machine instructions. In this situation, the API is even more PURE than the C standard library. Why? because at the base level, the library HAS to get files, memory, resources, whatever, from the OS. So going to the OS directly is the most PURE way to do it. Just like using DOS interupts directly in the old days.
Hmmm....if you are doing game programming, it is sufficient enough just to know the basics of Win32. After that, it is time to move on to DirectX =)

Best regards,
Sherman
_________________ Best regards, Sherman Chin Director Sherman3D (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd www.Sherman3D.com www.AlphaKimori.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement