🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How do you come up with your program's memory requirements?

Started by
6 comments, last by Afterlife 22 years, 10 months ago
Well first of all, I don''t even know what memory programs take up when you define an integer for example. Is it the ram memory or is it something else? If it is the ram memory, how do you know how much your program needs it? Do you use some tool to monitor how much ram memory is taken while you run your program? (I doupt that anyone actually counts the memory that the program may take up, by counting the sizeof()''s of the variables and pointers they use...) And what''s up with the recommentadions? Do some programs check the awailable memory and free useless memory on that basis and load that memory when it is needed again, thus requiring less memory, but being a little bit slower?
------------------------------If there be no heaven,may there atleast be a hell.-------------------------------Afterlife-
Advertisement
on windows: use systemmonitor(should be shipped with windows95/98/ME...) change to ram used(or similar) and compare "when proramm not running" with "when proogramm running"!

macos: the apple menu, there should be info of ram used
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster compare "when proramm not running" with "when proogramm running"!

What amount of ram should I add to that? If my program takes 10 mbs for example, the requirement is still bigger of course..I have total of 128 mb physical memory, but only 28mb free; only this web page and the display program(bionic cpu peeker btw). Windows alone doesn''t take 100 mbs, does it? :]

Also what is page file memory? Theres 78% free in that memory area. And what is a swap file? My dos program seems to affect on both of those.
------------------------------If there be no heaven,may there atleast be a hell.-------------------------------Afterlife-
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster
on windows: use systemmonitor(should be shipped with windows95/98/ME...) change to ram used(or similar) and compare "when proramm not running" with "when proogramm running"!

macos: the apple menu, there should be info of ram used

I doubt if this is the way to do this.
Hello from my world
there''s no indicator of how much ram is being used, it just gives a percentage value of system resources being used.

--
david@neonstar.net
neonstar entertainment
--david@neonstar.netneonstar entertainment
test it on the lowest spec computer you can find if it works make that your sys requirments. Its how its done in the trade
just hope I dont breach my 128 limit... :ob
Well. there are two ways. I had this norton program one time that told you the amount of ram and percent of cpu or something. I dont know if it was accurate. Look at how much ram the programm you are running requires and then subtract it from the amount of ram you have. ^^

I am actualy just guessing, but when I had the norton program, I opened photshop, it said 32 required, and i have 64, and the norton program said I have 32 free.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement