🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

LEVEL FORMATS FOR A GAME HELP!!!!!!!

Started by
0 comments, last by Nomad 24 years, 6 months ago
I am writing a 3d engine in OpenGL, I try to draw ideas from everywhere, but due to its simplicity, the basis for my 1st engine is tutorial 10 of NeHe''s tutorials, I understand that this is not a good basis, and that it is not capable of much, but bare with me this is just a simple learning project, and this will NOT be the basis for my real engine!! that aside, in that tutorial I have everything i need to start expiermenting with adding things to the engine, except the fact that the file format SUCKS (sure he did this for simplicity sake) but i mean I don''t wanna type in my other levels for my first engine by hand, would someone please direct me to a tutorial on parsing other file formats, prefferable something simple, no .3ds, mabye like .ase or .x(looks like the next simpleist choice)i just want help, or a link to a tutorial to help me parse a common format and load it in OpenGL, since only D3D can directly load .x, I do Not want to write the engine in D3D, because i already have to wory about other DirectX pieces i.e. Direct sound and input and all that stuff,and i don''t have time right now to learn D3D. So however you can help would be appreciated, AND PLEASE dont just give me a link to a file format description please make sure its an actual tutorial because i am new to 3D and not an expert in C++ so i need some help starting the parse code. Thanks in advance, Nomad
Advertisement
Have a look at www.wotsit.org

They *sometimes* have source with the format descriptions, and anyway - it''s not too hard parsing 3DS files as they are in chunks and you can choose what information interests you

Good luck

Steve Vallis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement