🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Graphics...

Started by
7 comments, last by jmb 22 years, 10 months ago
I know C really really well. Now that I have decided to get into doing some graphics, I am a little confused. I have heard of FastGraph, Allegro, OpenGL, ... Which one do I use?
Advertisement
Use whatever you like, but DirectX or OpenGL are probably the most commonly used, and are pretty good. But it doesn't matter what you choose.

Edited by - Midnight Coder on August 30, 2001 11:26:50 AM
If you''re going for MS Windows, Learn a some win32 coding before diving into graphics (it will be helpful later).

Somebody said a good benchmark was when you could write Pong using the Windows GDI. But it''s up to you.

DirectDraw/Direct3D (part of DirectX) and/or some version of OpenGL are probably the most common (free) graphics APIs in use these days.

-Mezz
I would prefer to get into game development in Linux. But from some of the older posts, it sounds like it''s easier to get a start by learning to create games in Windows. Should I first learn this stuff under Windows and then move to the Linux platform? And can DirectX work under Linux, or should I just go with OpenGL all the way?
cant you get a version of Allegro that works with Linux ?

"I pity the fool, thug, or soul who tries to take over the world, then goes home crying to his momma."
- Mr. T
Probably, but my original question was on which graphics library to use. So far I''ve heard that OpenGL and DirectX are the most popular. What''s the difference between them and Allegro?
For Linux I would recommend the SimpleDirectMedia Library. It's free, easy, and powerfull. Some major games have been ported to Linux with this library. Civilisation for instance.

Don't have the URL but should be very easy to find with your favorite search machine.

Edited by - SkyRat on August 30, 2001 1:13:24 PM
Humanity's first sin was faith; the first virtue was doubt
I found it at http://www.libsdl.org. Just thought I''d post it in case anybody else wants to check it out. I''m reading about it right now.
As far as DirectX and OpenGL goes, DirectX only works under Windows.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement