🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Knowledge for books?

Started by
10 comments, last by Necrosis 22 years, 9 months ago
Hello, I''ve been programming with C++ for over a year now on and off. I''ve been using Teach yourseld C++ in 21 days to learn as much as I can, and a number of other free tutorials here and there. I even got to take a C++ course for a semester (I switched schools before I could finish). I feel I got a firm understanding of what I''ve had access to learn, Classes, Linked-Lists, and all that. Anyways, I''ve been wanting to get a little more serious in terms of programming. My goals are to become a game programmer, but I am in no rush. I want to make sure I learn what I need, and due to limited funding, I want to make sure I get the correct books for me. My worry is books, I''ve already seen many books being recommended, but how sure can I be that I have the appropriate Knowledge to pick up a given book? I plan on ordering C++: The Complete Reference, Third Edition by Herbert Schildt as I''ve seen recommended. I also am wanting to order Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by Andre Lamothe, but I''m wondering if I would undertand it. I''ve had NO prior programming experience other then the C++, I know NO windows api/programming, nor any Direct X/OpenGL. Can I expect to pick this book up and learn from the start, or would there be anything I would need to learn before hand? I''m very scared of buying a book that expects me to know something I dont, and then I have to put it up on the shelf as a result. And like stated before, I have a very limited funding right now so it''s really important to me that I''m getting books that I can learn from. Now, I''m good at remaining determine till I figure something out, but if I can''t figure something out because it requires knowledge of some simpler information not covered, it''s a waste of money (till I can learn the previous info). And thats what I''m trying to find out with my question. Also, I''m wondering what other books I can jump to with my level of knowledge? I would like to learn windows programming (API and whatnot). No current preference on Direct X or OpenGL, though I have no intention of working with 3D for a real long time, Hoping I can stick with 2D till I have a very good understanding with Game programming. I really want to move more and more into game programming books as my knowledge permit. I realise I''m all over the place a tad as well as repeating myself, and for that I''m sorry
Advertisement
Oh, I want to add that I want to stick with C++ as much as possible.
I did the same as you. Same bok and everything, but I made the mistake of buying books I couldnt handle. to tell you the truth, I learnd pretty easily after I realized that.

Get Sams Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 2 Days. Though it wont aid you much with games, it helps you get the feel of the compiler, and how windows works. It helped me quite a bit.

Do you want to learn openGL or direct X? I dont want to start a flame war, but to put it simply, Direct X isnt as clean as OpenGL, and windows programming is messy, so windows + direct x = super messy OR windows + openGl= still messy, but not as bad.

There are alot more resources on Direct X though. Theres a book called Isometric Game programming with Direct X 7.0 I think would be good for you, but i am usingGame Progrmming with OpenGL. The latter is the one I am using, so I know it teaches you the basics of windows programming. I am not sure of the Direct X book because i didnt read it, but the reviews are very good and its for begginers.

Also, you will need the MSVC++ compiler, because every book your read is based on it. You can get the introductory edition for only 40 or 50 bucks I believe. Also, instead you can get game programming Starter Kit 4.0, its vry good, it comes with a helpful book, the introductory edition of the MSVC++ compiler, a level editor and model editor. i think you should get it(thats what I did).

"I've sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do'Urden

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on August 31, 2001 1:55:53 PM

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on August 31, 2001 1:58:57 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
lol. my last post wasnt very clean. heres what you should do:

Go the the store with about 100 bucks on you, alitle more.

Get the Game Programmer Starte Kit 4.0 (about 50 bucks, maybe less because I got it a year ago)

Get Teach Yourself Visual C++ in 21 Days.

Go home, and read and read, using the MSVC++ compiler.

Dont mess with the level/mesh editors because they will confuse you.

Read the book that comes with the Game Developer Starter kit(very good to get expierienced with, youll feel like a Guru after reading it)

And then, get the books on API''s
Actually, I already own MSVC++ 6.0 and have had it for a long time.

Though in the end I would like to learn both DX and OGL, I think I''d preffer to start with DX. I generally dont mind messy, as long as it makes sense first, and that I am able to solve the problem at hand with it

Does Teach yourself VC++ start teaching windows programming?
Teach yourself Visual C++ teaches you the MFC App Wizard, its not generally needed if you already have been using the MSVC++ compiler

I suggest you get Windows Game Programming for Dummies, ips and Tricks of the Windows game programming Gurus, or Isometric Game Programming with Direct X. The latter two have been better rated. The earlier two I believe are in C rather than C++ though. Also, the auther of Isometric Game Programming seems like an intelligent guy, and I think he knows his stuff. Its been ver well rated, and LaMothe is the series editor, so I think you should buy that one.
Thank you for your input, I''ll put it to good use.

Little side note, even though I''ve been using VC++ for a long time, I''ve done nothing beyond Console Apps. I''ve never gotten to actually do any form of windows programming (MFC or otherwise)
I think you should get Windows game Programming for Dummies and Isometric Game Programming, reading them in that order. The first one teaches you windows programming and direct X basics. And the next one teaches you how to do more advanced things. Games like Baldurs Gate and Diablo, ect. Isometric.

Good Luck. If you ever need any help, I am not pro, but I''m ok. Email me:

bg_darkelf@hotmail.com

"I''''ve sparred with creatures from the nine hells themselves... I barely plan on breaking a sweat here, today."~Drizzt Do''''Urden
you will learn with time... since you already have a c++ book i think it would be a good idea to get tricks of the windows game programming gurus... it covers basic windows programming as well as directx... good luck!
Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus will only require knowledge of C++ (or even just plain C). It has a few chapters dedicated to Windows programming. It will teach you DirectDraw, and game structure and other things as well. I think anyone would be crazy not to buy this book (but that's just my opinion). It really is a good choice, plus it teaches other stuff besides DirectX (like AI, and physics).

As for DirectX, I don't find it messy at all. I prefer it over OpenGL, but I think there's few others who share my opinion. Either one is fine. DirectX might be better for 2D since it has DirectDraw, but you still do 2D in OpenGL with the benefits of 3D acceleration, so it doesn't really matter.

If you still want to learn the Win32 API before DirectX (if you do decide on DirectX), then I would definately recommend Programming Windows by Charles Petzold (requires knowledge of only C) or Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up by Herbert Schildt. But, if you buy LaMothe's book, you'll get an introduction in the Win32 API within the first few chapters.

Also, in my opinion the Game Programmer Starter Kit won't help you much, if at all. Probably the only thing in it that would be of any use, is the Game Design book that it comes with.

Okay, so again, after you learn C++ with the book you have, you can either go straight into DirectX (with Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus by André LaMothe, requires knowledge of only C), or you can learn the Win32 API first, and as I mentioned before, Programming Windows or Windows 98 Programming from the Ground Up are good buys.

Edited by - Midnight Coder on August 31, 2001 2:54:21 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement