🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Bounding Box Volume, how?

Started by
2 comments, last by ogracian 22 years, 10 months ago
Hello I am writting a MAX plugin, but in my plugin I need to compute a bounding box to enclose all my scene objects, I mean, soupouse I have a scene composed by several boxes, so my question is how can I compute a box to enclose all my scene boxes? Thanks in advance!! Oscar
Advertisement
This is easy. You just iterate through all objects and check for the absolute min X, Y, Z and max X, Y, Z.

And voila, you got your bounding box surrounding all your objects.

Patrick Lafleur

System Engineer
Creation Objet Inc.
thanks for your help, but I still have some questions which I really appreciate if you could help me.

So to get the bounding box for all my scene objects just iterate through all objects and check for the absolute min X, Y, Z and max X, Y, Z. But then how can I set my bounding box width, length and hegight?

I mean, how can I compute the length, width, and height from the absolute min, and max?

for last, how can I compute the position of my box, so It enclose all my scene objects?

Thanks for your help!.
Oscar

If you have the maximum and minimum values you already have the length and width and height of the box:

Length = absmax_x - absmin_x
Width = absmax_z - absmin_z
height = absmax_y - absmin_y

To calculate the center of it you do it like this

centerx = length/2
centerz = width/2
centery = height/2

Just use those coordinates you just have calculated and now you have the center of you bounding box

voila. As easy as it is

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement