🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

2D Graphics Library

Started by
4 comments, last by Mdn 24 years, 6 months ago
I’m debating over whether or not I should learn DirectDraw. Does anyone use a 2D graphics library other than DirectDraw, Open Source or not? I would prefer the library if you recommend one not to be a wrapper of DDraw itself. :) Thanks
Advertisement
There aren''t a lot of options besides DDraw in Windows programming. You could use the Win32 API itself, but it''s not really suited to hardcore graphics... or you could use D3D or OpenGL, but both of these aren''t specifically 2D.

There was at one point something called WinG, but I don''t think it''s useful nowadays.

Mason McCuskey
Spin Studios - home of Quaternion, 2000 GDC Indie Games Fest Finalist!

www.spin-studios.com
Founder, Cuttlefish Industries
The Cuttlefish Engine lets anyone develop great games for iPad, iPhone, Android, WP7, the web, and more!
Well, do you know of any 2D Librarys in development? I would give a try at it but all I would be able to do is keyboard, mouse, joystick, sound and network code. If I wanted to make a 2D Api would I need to pick up asm?

try clanLIB. http://www.clanlib.org

"can't waste the day when the night brings a hearse"

"can't waste the day when the night brings a hearse"
While OpenGL isn''t specificly A 2D library, There is no real requirement to use its 3D components.

My next project will be OpenGL 2d.

The main plus is that you get sprites that you can draw at any size, and at any angle. ideal for a Gyrus clone :-). This lets you use the hardware acceleration. My current Project just uses standard bitmap rendering and I have found the performance you get from using 3d hardware for 2d is much much better than doing it yourself.

Tho only considered downside is that you have to do texture management of some sort since graphic images must be in texture memory. This can limit the amount of stuff you draw, But it shouldn''t be much of a problem on newer cards.

You need hardware Acceleration to make this a viable option. Software OpenGL just doesn''t cut it. Depending On what you are doing you might not need much in the way of speed. I''m expecting a Voodoo 1 or beter to be plenty for my next project.

-That which does not kill us has made its last mistake.
I use a (mostly proprietary) library based on the Win32 API CreateDIBSection. While not quite as fast as full-screen DirectDraw, it works well.

DavidRM
Samu Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement