🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

HELP A 3D NEWBIE OUT WITH THIS FILE FORMAT STUFF

Started by
-1 comments, last by Nomad 24 years, 6 months ago
I am writing a 3d engine in OpenGL, I try to draw ideas from everywhere, but due to its simplicity, the basis for my 1st engine is tutorial 10 of NeHe''s tutorials, I understand that this is not a good basis, and that it is not capable of much, but bare with me this is just a simple learning project, and this will NOT be the basis for my real engine!! that aside, in that tutorial I have everything i need to start expiermenting with adding things to the engine, except the fact that the file format SUCKS (sure he did this for simplicity sake) but i mean I don''t wanna type in my other levels for my first engine by hand, would someone please direct me to a tutorial on parsing other file formats, prefferable something simple, no .3ds, mabye like .ase or .x(looks like the next simpleist choice)i just want help, or a link to a tutorial to help me parse a common format and load it in OpenGL, since only D3D can directly load .x, I do Not want to write the engine in D3D, because i already have to wory about other DirectX pieces i.e. Direct sound and input and all that stuff,and i don''t have time right now to learn D3D. So however you can help would be appreciated, AND PLEASE dont just give me a link to a file format description please make sure its an actual tutorial because i am new to 3D and not an expert in C++ so i need some help starting the parse code. Thanks in advance, Nomad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement