🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Newbie Frustration

Started by
5 comments, last by Goober King 22 years, 9 months ago
I need some help before I destroy my computer. I used to program a few years back in dos. Made a couple of little games for my amusment but gave it up for a while. A couple of years ago I thought I would give Direct x a shot but never realy took any time to figure it out. Never programed in Windows before and there seamed to be a lot of new stuff, so I set it aside. Well a couple of days ago I started figuring tring to figure it out. While I think I get it I can''t get my initalization done right. I doesn''t seam that complicated. Make sure to inclue the right files at the right time. Set up a window, and start initializing DD. I can get the code running but I''m erroring when I try to create the main window. As long as I make the attempt I can setcoop level to NORMAL but full screen wont work nor do I get a window. If I don''t try I cant set it to normal ether. I''ve tried several peoples initalization code with no luck(not that there is much difference between them). Tried differnt compiliers with the same problem. I''m missing something but I cant figure out what. I''m not a very good programer, just a very stuborn one that doesn''t know when to quit.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Advertisement
try this for a reference to basic Windows Programming:

http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Great stuff for starting out. As far as DirectDraw goes, there are a few good ones out there. Just do a search.

Good Luck,

Paladin
Well I guess I Try that thanks. Hope I can get it working. I cant do much if I cant even get my window created. Hope thats
not a sign of things to come. Nah, I think I can do what I want
once I figure out the right way to get things started. I know most of the rest.
------------------------------------------------------------- neglected projects Lore and The KeepersRandom artwork
Or, you can always take a look at NeHe''s OpenGL tutorials. Sorry, just spreading around my API of choice (I''m not you''re going to like it, but you never know until you try? ). There are a number of links to DirectX tutorials in the resources section here as well.

[Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!]
I don''t think my problem is Directx. I''m not Getting that far. Sad but true. I did have some problem with it but I resolved them. I would concider OpenGL but I have I some crapy books on
it already and I cant realy aford to get anything new. Besides I finaly managed to start understanding the code and what I need to
do and I''m not sure my mind will let me switch gears just yet. Don''t you have to use direct draw to get control of the system
to start with or am I miss informed?
quote: Original post by SirPaladin
try this for a reference to basic Windows Programming:

http://www.winprog.org/tutorial/

Great stuff for starting out. As far as DirectDraw goes, there are a few good ones out there. Just do a search.

Good Luck,

Paladin

Excelent... I have now achived DDX control of my system.

Thanks man cleared somethings up.
Or you could get a good windows reference book like "Programming Windows" 5th edition by Charles Petzold on AMAZON.com or Chapter.ca e-bookstore

It''s like only 60 bucks US or 90 bucks CAN. I just bought it about a month ago as a reference to help me with my school work. And it has help me figure out some valuable things out on my own. I know not everyone has the money, but its worth having a good reference to picking up the basics to windows programming.

bringing sound to the masses
http://www.unparallel.net

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement